So I picked up an '88 302/AOD from a Crown Vic and an Explorer EFI setup w/ harness and computer...

• Sponsors (?)

There's actually no difference in the wiring of the harness between HO and non-HO 5.0 engines. The computer handles any differences in injector firing as a result of the engine's firing order. You don't have to rewire anything in that regard.

Yes, the '88 engine will be a roller engine.

There's actually no difference in the wiring of the harness between HO and non-HO 5.0 engines. The computer handles any differences in injector firing as a result of the engine's firing order. You don't have to rewire anything in that regard.

Agreed, the guy with the '88 says he has a book on paring down the engine harness he'll give me.

When you say Explorer, do you mean like '96-01? I have a writeup on putting one of those (with 4R70W) in a '66. Many will say stay away from OBD2 but I don't. Get the PCM flashed and the diagnostics are far superior to OBD1 and the EDIS ignition is way better than a distributor IMHO.

The crown vic will have low compression dished pistons, is rated at like 180hp. I am running a stock 89 CV bottom end, E5 heads, and 2000ish Explorer intake and fuel system. I did swap to a HO cam out of a junkyard 90 Mustang. I'm guessing around 200hp at the crank at this point. The AOD in my opinion isn't worth the trouble compared to a 4R70W. The Explorer intake needs a little tweeking to run with the A9L/A9P ecu.

This is not necessarily a permanent combo for this vehicle. I've got $150 tied up in all of it.

We're going to need motor mounts soon. I sent the original ones to a guy who built his own Daytona Coupe from scratch. https://www.chuckcobra.com/

I did it at the time because you couldn't get the rubber replaced at the time. Now you can, I'm not set on original type, they could be the '66 model ones. Research shows many brands, no idea what to get.

There most certainly is a difference. This is an sequential fuel injection system, not TBI, CFI, batch fire. The ignition system is also sequential.

The EEC module and harness (all of it, not just pieces of it) must match, and the cam must also match. No, you cannot just re-pin the injector harness. No, it is not a good idea to use a harness and or EEC model from an auto with a manual, or vice versa.

There most certainly is a difference. This is an sequential fuel injection system, not TBI, CFI, batch fire. The ignition system is also sequential.

The EEC module and harness (all of it, not just pieces of it) must match, and the cam must also match. No, you cannot just re-pin the injector harness. No, it is not a good idea to use a harness and or EEC model from an auto with a manual, or vice versa.
There is no difference if we're talking about an engine and harness out of a Crown Vic or any other Panther platform vehicle. They all received SEFI in 1986. Prior to that they were CFI. The trucks received batch fire EFI in 1985. The original question was regarding an '88 Crown Vic engine and transmission.

I never said there was no difference in the computer or the cam, or that the OP can use an auto computer in a manual, or vice versa.

That being said, you can convert a Crown Vic 5.0 with the existing harness to the HO firing order simply by replacing the cam and swapping the ECM for one out of a Mustang or another vehicle with the correct firing order (Mark VII, etc.) that is designed for the proper transmission.

The injector harness is also wired differently for the non-HO and HO firing order. Not sure if ford did this in the harness itself, or repinned it down in the ECU.

Not the end of the world as you can just swap the two pins, however the explorer engine harness is very different from any of the SEFI setups with regards to requiring a crank trigger and a cam positioning sensor to run it's EDIS setup.

It would be a cool setup in the end, but there are some subtle difference you need to pay attention in mating the two generations of 5.0 electrical controls. I actually don't think i've seen the explorer OBD2 setup used in any Mustang before.

Also, given the abundance of cheap HO parts, i would just strip down the '88 Vic motor to the short block (will have dished pistons without eye reliefs) and just swap in some E7 heads and a HO (or explorer) intake. You should swap the cam as well to a HO cam, but you'll need to pay attention to cam specs with regards to the dished pistons.

The injector harness is also wired differently for the non-HO and HO firing order. Not sure if ford did this in the harness itself, or repinned it down in the ECU.

Not the end of the world as you can just swap the two pins, however the explorer engine harness is very different from any of the SEFI setups with regards to requiring a crank trigger and a cam positioning sensor to run it's EDIS setup.

It would be a cool setup in the end, but there are some subtle difference you need to pay attention in mating the two generations of 5.0 electrical controls. I actually don't think i've seen the explorer OBD2 setup used in any Mustang before.

Also, given the abundance of cheap HO parts, i would just strip down the '88 Vic motor to the short block (will have dished pistons without eye reliefs) and just swap in some E7 heads and a HO (or explorer) intake. You should swap the cam as well to a HO cam, but you'll need to pay attention to cam specs with regards to the dished pistons.
This guy used the complete Explorer setup in his car with a few modifications.

There is no difference if we're talking about an engine and harness out of a Crown Vic or any other Panther platform vehicle. They all received SEFI in 1986. Prior to that they were CFI. The trucks received batch fire EFI in 1985. The original question was regarding an '88 Crown Vic engine and transmission.

I never said there was no difference in the computer or the cam, or that the OP can use an auto computer in a manual, or vice versa.

That being said, you can convert a Crown Vic 5.0 with the existing harness to the HO firing order simply by replacing the cam and swapping the ECM for one out of a Mustang or another vehicle with the correct firing order (Mark VII, etc.) that is designed for the proper transmission.
The question was Panther engine with Explorer harness and ECM. Not Panther engine with Panther harness and ECM.

Your statement that there is no difference in harnesses between H.O. and S.O, (non-H.O.) is BS.

Last edited:
The question was Panther engine with Explorer harness and ECM. Not Panther engine with Panther harness and ECM.

Your statement that there is no difference in harnesses between H.O. and S.O, (non-H.O.) is BS.
I missed the part about the harness coming from the Explorer rather than from the Crown Vic. My statement was in regard to the Crown Vic harness as compared to the Mustang harness. In that regard, my statement is true.

However, that’s not the harness we’re discussing, so I stand corrected.