So now my window wont roll down. Possable causes?

• Sponsors (?)

The Stang that needed the silicon probably did....my 03 GT's windows when they work, seem to motor well. Most times when it gets really warm, my passenger window fails to work...sometimes pressing the switch back and forth on the drivers will get it to work. If it's really warm, it does not. Now, the driver's side is not working, but the passenger’s side is. In cold weather both sides work well...Therefore I know it's NOT the motors or switches, but more than likely it's a relay box located below the dash on the drivers side, upper left. When jiggling the driver’s side door switch, I can hear clicking sounds.

If someone actually knows what the problem REALLY is, I would also like to know...as it would alleviate a lot of frustration in looking.

Last edited:
Here's my theory. The window circuit is protected via an automatic resetting Circuit breaker. There is also an automatic resetting motor over load in each window. This trick is working because when the circuit breaker trips it has to cool down before it will reset. How long it takes to cool down depends upon the over load.

My second theory is the motor brushes are worn and not making good contact. Slamming the door jars the window motor just enough to move the brushes to a new location where better contact is made.

Or a combination of all of the above.

Bottom line: IF the circuit breaker is tripping then it seems likely that one or more motors are drawing too much current. A test for power at the window motor when the problem is happening can rule this in or out (yes I know this isn't as easy as slamming a door). While you are testing for power it's not a bad idea to confirm the quality of the ground. Use a test light that will LOAD the circuit.

Once it's known that the powers and grounds are good, then one can focus on the window motor itself as the problem source.

This is apparently a common problem in Fords and there's a simple fix for it.
You sit inside the car, and keep the window switch held down as you slam the door harder than you normally would. No joke. Try this method before you start taking things apart.

I have a 2004 Ford mustang convertible 40th anniversary edition driver side window wouldn’t go down until I read your post I tried it and damned if it didn’t go down. thank you for your post.

Here's how I fixed minor then once
Take the door panel off it's not hard
Look down on the metal where the motor is
You'll see a round peace that's the motor
Now take a small hammer and thump it a couple times and check it. Repeat if needed

Reactions: 1 user