So should Ford get rid of the Shelby Stangs and bring back the Cobra?

So what do you guys think, should Ford ditch the Shelby Mustangs and bring back the Cobra?

I talk to a lot of my buddies about this constantly. I think if Ford where to bring back the Cobra, put in a lighter supercharged 4-cam engine, 6 speed...maybe offer an optional paddle shift? I miss the snake. I like the GT500s and they look mean but I'd personally like to see Ford go back to a Cobra and continue the SVT tradition.

• Sponsors (?)

They might just do that, it seems that Ford is a little upset at the way the director of the SVT team has let the "SVT" moniker kind of be upstaged by the Shelby name. I read that they want SVT brand to be the forefront of Ford performance vehicles.

I guess what I was thinking was when the next generation body style comes out, drop shelby name all together and make a lighter, more nimble, Mustang Cobra (no shelby)...more along the lines of what the 2003-2004 Cobras represented. I really liked the chunky clean looks of that car. No flashy Shelby graphics and interior stitching and an overpriced sticker. How about coming out with a Corvette eating Cobra Coupe for the 50th anniversary priced at about $40k and maybe a convertible for about $45k? Something like that. I guarantee Ford pays a pretty penny for the Shelby name on those cars and some of those fancy Shelby dress up items that really aren't necessary. Trim the Shelby fat, get back to the Roots of what SVT is all about.

Just my 2 cents.

i think they should bring back the SVT cobra, but it won't happen. bringing it back will dull sales for the shelby's and that's what shelby's are: money makers. if it had an SVT badge on it the only difference there would be is it would be cheaper than a shelby. shelby just gets a big dealer mark up, thats all.

The Shelby GT was actually built in Shelbys' plant in Las Vegas. So are the Super Snakes. So he should get some of that action. But I agree, he probably gets a big chunk of money for the name.

I was thinking that the KRs and the Super Snake would go away as well. The reason I'm saying this is - well as much as I don't want to say this - but the car market is starting to change again. Car makers are making more hybrids and small econo cars than ever before. Muscle cars are getting heavier and more expensive. I think muscle cars are going to possibly evolve or disappear...or become very limited like a Viper. Don't get me wrong I love that we have some killer old school made new Mustangs to pick from and it's amazing that we have 400+ hp Mustang GTs coming but I think they will get to a stopping point somewhere with this. I think a lineup for a Mustang of the future could go like this with no Shelbys...

- V6 (Base and sport)
- GT (Base GT and premium)
- Special Edition (ex. Boss, Mach I or Bullitt)
- Cobra

- Maybe a limited edition Super Cobra? But then again you get into a super expensive high $$$ Mustang.

-John

doubtful Ford would drop an iconic name and the person who put Ford on the performance map in the 60's. It's a huge money maker and a huge brand. All the peripheals probably account for millions of dollars a year to Ford, sweatshirts, wheels, spoilers, on and on and on. Having a halo vehicle to get people in a showroom is invaluable. Most people can't afford $75,000 for a KR, but they'll come in to see it and hopefully leave with a semi-look alike Mustang that they can partially modify to resemble the KR, with Ford parts of course.

doubtful Ford would drop an iconic name and the person who put Ford on the performance map in the 60's. It's a huge money maker and a huge brand. All the peripheals probably account for millions of dollars a year to Ford, sweatshirts, wheels, spoilers, on and on and on. Having a halo vehicle to get people in a showroom is invaluable. Most people can't afford $75,000 for a KR, but they'll come in to see it and hopefully leave with a semi-look alike Mustang that they can partially modify to resemble the KR, with Ford parts of course.

Right

SVT might make the car but Shelby has the greatest influence.

The Raptor is a current example of what the SVT crew is cabable of when allowed to think outside of the box.

Time to go back, I agree. Good ol' Shebly would do just fine on his own selling his $65,000 GT-350s.

Yeah they put the SVT badges on the Shelby to try and hold on to the loyal SVT enthusiasts to make them feel like Ford wasn't going to drop the whole SVT "program" oer say. Don't get me wrong, the 2007 GT500 is an absolutely b-e-a-utiful car. As far as modern stangs go that '07 GT500 front styling is my favorite by far!
The 03-04 Cobra has a mystique to it all it's own. It doesn't need Shelby badges and stickers - it's it's own entity I guess. The Shelby doesn't have that same mystique, but it does give the new retro styled Mustangs a great look that further supports the throwback design. I'm wondering what's next for a specialty Mustang beyond the retro styling and Shelby add-ons. I think the Shelby theme will get played out after a few years and I'm thinking of what could be next for the Ford Mustang. Will Ford go back to modern styling with Mustang cues again and possibly bring back the COBRA Mustang? I'm working on some concept sketches of a what-if Mustang Cobra and will post 'em when I'm done.

Perhaps maybe make the new BOSS 302 (street version) an SVT only model and the GT500 or some type of Shelby GT a Shelby?

I'm not so sure I understand what the question is here. To the best of my knowledge I thought SVT was the main engineering and design force behind the 07+ GT500s with Carroll Shelby stepping in as sort of a spiritual guide if you want to call it that way with a modest input in the car's development.
As a matter of fact GT500s are built by Ford-SVT while the Shelby GT's and KR or SS upgrades are the only ones that come out of Shelby's Las Vegas facility.

Also a lot of people seem to attribute Shelby's name to the price hike in the car. I don't think that's correct. if you pay attention to key parts such as engine and transmission and cosmetic differences (engine alone costs 16K from Ford vs the GT's 6K) you can see how the GT500 is a more expensive car. This is why I'm thrilled about the new 5.0 it offers great performance with actual cost savings. It won't be any more expensive then the current 4.6L to produce which is fantastic news! :)

Well, comparing the original MSRP of $34,860 for the 2004 Mustang Cobra Coupe vs. the original MSRP of $42,970 for the 2007 GT500 there's a pretty good hike in cost. I understand the engine is making about 100+ more power in the GT500 and it's a new engine, beefier trans, etc. but it's 8k more fo rthe GT500. I guess it's all relative.

I would love if they got rid of the Shebly stuff and just had a SVT Cobra. I'm sick and tired of the inflated prices on the cars just because of the Shelby name. I am a big SVT fan and extremely disheartened by the price increase, and subsequent dealer gouging, just because the car has a Shelby logo on the rear.

Give me back my SVT Cobra and take off the 10k markup please. I personally won't ever buy a Shelby vehicle, unless it's actually a Shelby vehicle, not just a car with his name plastered everywhere. And even then I wouldn't buy it because it's overpriced.