So the journey begins

The lack of hood hinges, the missing heater plenum, the “ way too far inboard” bolted in 6 pt roll bar, zero insulation and sound deadened will just be a few of the things that will make this car a pain in the ass on the street. Add in 90/10 front struts, and 50/50 rear shocks, and you’ll have to pay more frequent visits to your dentist as a result of getting the fillings jarred out of your head from the ride quality.

That car looks to be amazingly clean, and nicely painted. It’d be a shame to lose such a nice starting point for a great street car to end up as another example of a gutted out rattle trap pretending to be a street car that is just a literal headache to ride in.

Get rid of the drag racing junk, ditch the lift off hood. get a good aftermarket electrical system ( these cars need it anyway). fix the stuff that has been Removed ( hinges, heater core/AC) restore the door mechanisms, put some sound deadener in it, and the interior.

Straight shooter. I like that.

Everything you said is exactly the reason I'm here. We have every intention of making this car an awesome street car. As the name of this thread implies it's about the journey. More on that below. I have no interest in throwing this car together just to get it on the road. In fact I have the summer of 2025 in my mind. Could be sooner, could be later. Knowledge, skill and budget will determine that.

The majority of the parts you mention came with the car. We plan on using what we have when it makes sense and improving/upgrading when appropriate. It'll get done and get done right.

I would like to keep the roll bar though. Big T thinks it's cool. Lol

He is right especially if you have kids. Not only the kids , but your wife will never get in it . Plus if you fix it right you might get all your money back someday.

I'll never get my money back on this project but that's by design. Tyler, my 26 yo son, has something called Williams Syndrome. Although he is the most enthusiastic car guy you'd ever meet, and pretty good with wrenches, he'll never be able to drive this car. That is why the journey is the most important thing. When the time comes that I am no longer able to take care of him and one of his brothers takes over the car will go with him.
20200714_171658.jpg

He pulled and disassembled that motor mostly himself... With some direction of course.

Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I think I would do whatever it takes to get the dash settled. Why you ask? Because i want to do it least...
The majority of the car is just nuts and bolts, pretty straight forward, much of it could be done with common sense, the dash on the other hand is a puzzle that I'm pretty sure nobody enjoys.

Hell yeah, do it with/for Tyler! My son is 19 and off at college and only now seems to have interest in my Mustang. I hope you and Tyler get a lot of quality time on this project!

Reactions: 1 user
Straight shooter. I like that.

Everything you said is exactly the reason I'm here. We have every intention of making this car an awesome street car. As the name of this thread implies it's about the journey. More on that below. I have no interest in throwing this car together just to get it on the road. In fact I have the summer of 2025 in my mind. Could be sooner, could be later. Knowledge, skill and budget will determine that.

The majority of the parts you mention came with the car. We plan on using what we have when it makes sense and improving/upgrading when appropriate. It'll get done and get done right.

I would like to keep the roll bar though. Big T thinks it's cool. Lol

I'll never get my money back on this project but that's by design. Tyler, my 26 yo son, has something called Williams Syndrome. Although he is the most enthusiastic car guy you'd ever meet, and pretty good with wrenches, he'll never be able to drive this car. That is why the journey is the most important thing. When the time comes that I am no longer able to take care of him and one of his brothers takes over the car will go with him.
20200714_171658.jpg

He pulled and disassembled that motor mostly himself... With some direction of course.
Enjoy every minute with him. There's nothing more important.

While the interior is out of the car now is the time to do the sound deadening. I personally like killmat its the good butyl rubber stuff but reasonably priced. amazon has good deals on it, get the thicker stuff 50mil at a minimum and do the doors, floors and roof at least to the hatch area. then top it off with a heat resistant foam, again amazon has good deals. If you do both then the car will be quite and cool on the inside.

Amazon product ASIN B07TKXMPH7View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKXMPH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon product ASIN B0751CBXBTView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751CBXBT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon product ASIN B01MQNTKSFView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQNTKSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

one box of each will get you started, dont skimp and work from the firewall back.

^^ I agree with steve, I did my 89 gt from toe board to taillights with dynomat and it made a difference, wish I had done my roof but I have the sunroof option so I have to figure how to deal with it. I have a couple ideas.

Heres the burgeson joint needed for stock foxbody steering shaft to sn95-04 "mustang v" rack.

And im thinking, but not sure. If you were to pre fit the rack and shaft,joint, and mark some lines on joint and shaft, you could just weld it in proper orientation and not have to orient the pinion shaft. But maybe im missing/forgetting some reason that wouldnt work?