So This Happened Today

• Sponsors (?)

First off, everyone here is on facebook. Don't Lie. I think it worth mentioning that I got about the same number of sales calls before facebook as after. You can't even get a job with a big company if you don't have a facebook account.

Kurt

The only thing facebook can do for you job wise is get you eliminated from the competition. Companies aren't checking your profile for positive aspects. LinkedIn does more for you professionally.

First off, everyone here is on facebook. Don't Lie. I think it worth mentioning that I got about the same number of sales calls before facebook as after. You can't even get a job with a big company if you don't have a facebook account.

Kurt

Not having FB wouldn't prevent you from having a job at my company, but we pretty much tell you in the interview we may check out your public social media postings. What you post may get you eliminated from consideration

Even with that warning, you'd be surprised what I see people post publically and how many people don't make their FB or IG page private.

The college kid we interviewed last week has a pic of him in a brazzers t-shirt motorboating a stripper on his page. I wasn't even mad really, but he didn't get the job for other reasons.

First off, everyone here is on facebook. Don't Lie. You can't even get a job with a big company if you don't have a facebook account.

Kurt

This is a bookface myth. It is true that companies exist that make bookface a strongly urged "thing" but those are few and far between (and likely small, or just plain ignorant). Most companies realize the security risk and some flat-out block it for employees. I work for a tech company and I'll tell you firsthand that there's nobody here that doesn't understand what bookface is and chooses not to participate. These are hardware and software engineers.

I am another one that doesn't have a bookface. Of the interviews that I had (all tech companies before I found my current job), bookface did not come up once.

They are the least of my worries
Zombies, now there's something to worry about

It makes perfect sense that zombies created in this age would use social media to track you down. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Not having FB wouldn't prevent you from having a job at my company, but we pretty much tell you in the interview we may check out your public social media postings. What you post may get you eliminated from consideration

I paid over $1000 to consultants to get my current job. They all said the same thing, make sure you have a facebook, make sure there is nothing but pictures of your kids and stuff like that on there. No facebook, you aren't a known entity. Details matter when you are after a really competitive job.

My brother in law is a salesman for custom software, his company actually made him open a facebook account. Whether or not they are selling our data, it's the new norm.

Kurt

Agreed. I go through my FB regularly and neuter it. I look pretty boring on it. Couple pics with the wife and kids, some typical family trips, etc. License plates blocked, as little personal data as possible. No risqué photos. nothing that a judge in a court of law would ever raise an eyebrow to

I'm going to be job hoping this coming spring and I can garantee any employer will look at it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I paid over $1000 to consultants to get my current job. They all said the same thing, make sure you have a facebook, make sure there is nothing but pictures of your kids and stuff like that on there. No facebook, you aren't a known entity. Details matter when you are after a really competitive job.

My brother in law is a salesman for custom software, his company actually made him open a facebook account. Whether or not they are selling our data, it's the new norm.

Kurt
Fad*

finally got around to fixing the A/C compressor pulley.
Was not expecting this when I finallly got the March cover, adapter and clutch off

20171015_124704.jpg
20171015_160057.jpg

Yes, the pulley literally sheared. separated from the innner part that holds the bearing.
Never seen that one before.

Luckily , I had purchase a new replacement pulley, bearing as a unit along with the clutch and coil.
Bad news is the damn clutch they sent me is for an F6 kind with the three rubber bushings on it, and the March cover wont work with that, The pulley is the same so I reused my old clutch with the new pulley..