So You Want Black Door Lock Cylinders?

Kumm3

Founding Member
Jul 30, 2002
East Hartford, CT
Seeing as the cheapest set of Black Door locks I could find was $60, I started looking for other options.

In my garage, I have many, many cans of Plasti-Dip. Many colors to choose from, including classic black and glossifier.

So a little rigging with a few strands of wire to compress the inner cylinder so a gap was present, 6 coats of black and 2 coats of glossifier and this was the result. Dimestore Black Locks at their finest.

bZF25wJ.jpg

Attachments

• bZF25wJ.jpg
    bZF25wJ.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I will be interested to see an update after 12 months.

I powder coated a set of handles and door lock covers once. They looked great! Until later....

I ended up with a NOS set that I eventually found on ebay for next to nothing.

Great idea with the plasti-dip though. Interested to see how it hold up.

I was the guy who spent the 60$ on a black set, lol. I will keep this in mind if this situation ever arises again for me. I plastidipped the inner head light bezels on my car beginning of the year and it has held up nice so far.

I will be interested to see an update after 12 months.

I powder coated a set of handles and door lock covers once. They looked great! Until later....

I ended up with a NOS set that I eventually found on ebay for next to nothing.

Great idea with the plasti-dip though. Interested to see how it hold up.
How about 10 years? Happened to see this old thread tonight and figured id give an update. Drivers side this time wince it gets used the most.
IMG_5255.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
The plastidip has held up much better than I would have expected for 10 years. I would bet that longevity has a lot to do with the painstaking preparation efforts you put in to make it look good.