Soaking new lifters in oil?

latham83

Jul 24, 2003
Yea i have brand new lifters for my 5.0..roller lifters..and someone told me its a good idea to soak them in oil for alittle before u install them? to get the air out of them? true??

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard of immersing them in oil and then using a pushrod to try to depress the lifter several times. It supposedly makes them suck up oil and be primed. I haven't tried it, so I don't know for sure.

What I would be sure to do is to pre-oil the engine by turning the oil pump CCW until oil pressure came up before I was ready to start the engine.

From Cranes website.

Do Hydraulic Lifters Need to be Primed with Oil?

Many people mistakenly believe that hydraulic lifters must be soaked in oil overnight and be hand pumped up with a pushrod before installing into a new engine, however this is not necessary. In fact, this could cause the lifter to act as a "solid" and prevent obtaining proper preload. What is very necessary is the priming of the entire engine's oil system before starting up a new engine for the first time. This is done by turning the oil pump with a drill motor to force oil throughout the entire engine. Crane Cams offers oil pump primers for Chevrolet and Ford engines.