Progress Thread SoFlo5-0 builds a 5.7 (347, that is)

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Cracka please. :rlaugh:
I had a 10'whip CB antenna on the quarter panel of a 69 mach 1. There will never be a picture of that atrocity posted anywhere.
THAT would something to be "ashamed" of as long as nobody had to see it.
Having a MII with something similar would be reason to change your identity, and go into hiding.

• Sponsors(?)

MustangIIMatt

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
youtu.be
Having a MII with something similar would be reason to change your identity, and go into hiding.
Aren't you glad I didn't hold you to your offer to never disparage a II again? I knew you wouldn't be able to do it and I'm too nice a guy to put you in that position. :cheers:

Here we go derailing another new guy's thread. Some things never change. :SN:

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Ok, back on track! Let's let everyone live and let live..... ;)

Whatcha doing to the 347? I know it's not just gonna be a rotating assembly upgrade and leave everything else alone. We all know that's not how it works.... :D

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
Uh why... Just grab an explorer longblock add cam of choice and turbo.. more power than the 347 at a lower cost.
:stick:

Cheapskate207

The left one hangs a little lower
Jan 12, 2020
Maine
better yet, why even mess with an explorer engine? The gt40 heads and intake? His engine looks to be in pretty good shape.

Side note: are there any explorer engines worth grabbing these days? I’d think they all have a ton of miles. Up here in Maine they don’t exist anymore anyway. (Rust)

MustangIIMatt

Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
youtu.be
better yet, why even mess with an explorer engine? The gt40 heads and intake? His engine looks to be in pretty good shape.

Side note: are there any explorer engines worth grabbing these days? I’d think they all have a ton of miles. Up here in Maine they don’t exist anymore anyway. (Rust)
Down south there's hundreds of them in junkyards with blown transmissions behind them. They're $250 all day at the u-pull-it near me.

Reactions: 1 users

SoFlo5-0

Aug 24, 2016
Miami, FL
I had a 10'whip CB antenna on the quarter panel of a 69 mach 1. There will never be a picture of that atrocity posted anywhere.
THAT would something to be "ashamed" of as long as nobody had to see it.
Hey, it was the 70s. CB radios were ubiquitous - and not every CBer was a "10-4 there good buddy' stereotype yahoo.

• Winner

MustangIIMatt

Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
youtu.be
Hey, it was the 70s. CB radios were ubiquitous - and not every CBer was a "10-4 there good buddy' stereotype yahoo.
I still use a CB when I go off-road in the 4Runner. They're great out in the wild yonder.

Mustang5L5

i'm familiar with penetration
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Nice project.

How is the Ranger for towing? I'd like to get a truck and am weighing the Ranger vs F150 right now. I'd like to be able to tow my fox.

SoFlo5-0

Aug 24, 2016
Miami, FL
Uh why... Just grab an explorer longblock add cam of choice and turbo.. more power than the 347 at a lower cost.
:stick:
That would be a decent choice if I was looking for max power/lowest cost, but there's more to this build than that. I was originally just going to do a HIC (headers, intake, cam) and call it a day, but the thought occurred to me: When am I gonna get a better opportunity to build another Ford smallblock - something I hadn't done since the late 90s? My oldest son and I had a blast asssembling a 351W from the bare block and stuffing it into my '66 Fastback. The opportunity to do the same with the 91's motor was too hard to resist. Stroking it was a no-brainerif we were going to strip it to the block - so there you have it. It's not a MAX-POWER build by any stretch of the imagination. More of a father/son project

SoFlo5-0

Aug 24, 2016
Miami, FL
Nice project.

How is the Ranger for towing? I'd like to get a truck and am weighing the Ranger vs F150 right now. I'd like to be able to tow my fox.
The Ranger is a STUD as a tow rig. It pulled the Mustang and a U-Haul trailer with power to spare. I've towed the Mustang or a Focus race car back and forth from FL to SC a few times now and I'm more than impressed.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

SoFlo5-0

Aug 24, 2016
Miami, FL
I still use a CB when I go off-road in the 4Runner. They're great out in the wild yonder.
Cool. A lot of people do the same. I got my HAM ticket some years back, so I also roll with a 2 Meter rig. You can see the antenna mounted on the rear door in the picture where I'm towing the Fox.

nickyb

WAIT,you now have a pair?
10 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
nevada
Ok nice sneek peek, what cam?heads?ect.?

Bzammitt

Mar 14, 2021
Grand Rapids, MI
Very Nice! Like the look of the black upper. How does she run with those goodies?
Strong! Just got the car a month ago (bought it from my uncle, been in the family for 10 years). I’ll be bringing it to the strip here soon. I’d guess close to 400whp and high 11’s @ 115ish?