Soft Brakes After New Pads And Rotors

Oct 12, 2016
Super soft brakes now almost like I'm only running on back brakes. Anyone have any advise? I didn't bleed the brakes or anything because I didn't think I would have to. Will I possibly need to bleed the master cylinder too along with the calipers if that is the case? This is on a 2003 GT

• Sponsors (?)

Did you use the bleeder to get the pistons retracted or just squeeze then in? If you didn't use the bleeder you should not have to bleed the system. I would make sure you didn't damage a rubber brake line during the process(have OP inspect the hoses while you push on the brake pedal). The front system is separate from the rear in the Master Cylinder so if you bleed it just start on the caliper farthest from the master(passenger side).

Just checked the lines and they seem fine but I bleed the air out of the lines and they work better now. I'm new to doing brakes and I was wondering. Do the pads always make contact with the rotors or did I totally do something terrible? They don't make any noise or anything or give resistance but I still don't know if they should actually be touching. Maybe it's because they're brand new pads and rotors and they need to be seated right?

It's okay if they contact a little. If they're interfering with the rotor spinning completely, that's an issue but they're usually a little rub or contact.
They should be fine then I hope. I bleed the front calipers and the brakes feel better now and are working for sure. But they still just feel soft ever since I compressed the pistons back in. Maybe it will get better. Maybe it's always been like this and I'm just now noticing.

How does the brake fluid look? My old gt burned the fluid and it was old fluid too. Pedal felt like mush. Flushed the brake system and it felt like brand new again. Old and burned fluid can ruin a breaking system. If it looks green, dark brown or black better change it out.

Bleed at the MC. Same as at the caliper.

However, if you didn't crack a brake line, this should be an issue. I'd check to see all the pads are properly seated and all pistons fully extended. Something mechanical could be amiss and giving you some "play" that contributes to the spongy feeling.

A full bleed wonutld hurt either. Do the MC as well.

All eight pads should be lightly greased (Hi-Temp) at the anti-rattle clips and at the pad ends. These are the points that the pads move in the anchor plates. The caliper pins or bolts should be lightly greased and the caliper very movable. Look at the Youtube videos of the vacuum brake system bleeding method. The reason DOT3 brake fluid turns dark in color is because of water absorbsion (high humidity regions are one of the reasons). Full flushing is the best course of action.

Check the caliper slides. Stuck slides will give you a spongy brake pedal. But usually it's on the 1st attempt and if you pump them while your stopping and its get harder then there's air in the system somewhere.