Sold my 94 GT convertible and buyer calls me next day with an issue

Lawdawg86

Sep 30, 2020
Arkansas
So I sold the 94 GT convertible to a guy lastnight, we test drove it for over an hour, I found a private road that’s shut down for through traffic and even showed him how good it launched, and did a donut for him for which he was incredibly impressed. Then drove it some more getting on it here and there pointing out that it never overheats or has any issues at all. Kid blew me up all night about how to do this and that, and even how to lock the doors then I get a message this morning saying “I’ve got a problem, the car overheated”. I immediately called him in anger telling him “I’ve drove that car from Arkansas to Colorado, I’ve taken it all day long in traffic, gone on weekend cruises with my wife, and never once has it ever overheated, and that I had replaced the thermostat and water pump as well”. He shows me the engine, there’s coolant everywhere, I asked him”hey did a coolant line come off or what cause there’s a lot of fluid under there”. He then went on to explain he automatically jumped in the car, without letting it set and warm up drove it around hot rodding it some to show out in front of his girl, and then jumped on the interstate. He said” I noticed the temp gauge get hot and pulled into a gas station to check it out and found the radiator hose had come off, so I reconnected it, and what do I need to do to add coolant”.‘ I explained the procedure, he couldn’t even find the expansion tank, or even the right cap to add coolant, he then said I can’t get the cap off the radiator. So I told him to put a towel over it, push down real hard, and turn counterclockwise. He still couldn’t do it, so I said then just wait till it cools and maybe the pressure will be off of it. He said the battery sounded like it was low when trying to start. I said did you check the battery connections, of course he said no, he checked the negative cable and it was somehow loose eventhough I triple checked everything yesterday before showing it to him, he gets in car I saw the rear view mirror lights on, asked him hey why are those lights on. He said oh I guess cause the doors open, I said no they don’t come on unless you turn them on. He said he didn’t turn them on but I know I dang sure didn’t leave them on. Anyways long story short, he said well it smokes some when I first started it up and going down the interstate. I said what’s the temp up there, he said ugghhhhh it’s 28, I said hmm have you never seen anyone’s exhaust blowing out condensation driving down the road in below freezing weather. I made sure lastnight I put on the bill of sale sold AS IS, that way this crap doesn’t turn around on me. He’s a guy who’s in his mid 20’s and knows nothing about cars, or listened to anything I had said the night before. He never did text me back as of yet, or FaceTime me(which I never do), I can guarantee you this if he messed it up, it’s on him. I made sure to have my brother there during the transaction because I wanted to have a witness to the transaction and the test drive. When I signed the bill of sale I made up I made sure to add in sold AS IS, had the dude sign it, then my brother signed it as a witness.
Moral of the story, if you sale a old sports car to a young, uneducated kid who doesn’t know where his own rear view mirror is then be sure to add AS IS in case they blow something up

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your buyer thinks of you as his mentor, good luck shaking him off your leg.
He’s already off. I blocked him. I’m not going to be someone’s mentor or mechanic. When you do stupid things expect bad things to happen, which is why I always babied it, and always kept up with regular maintenance on it. This kid, I give it a month. If he hasn’t destroyed it already I give him that long before he will

I'd keep in touch,this way you can buy it back for almost nothing when he can't fix it.Then you fix it and sell it back to him.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you drop your price ?
I had it at $3600 and he sent me a message saying it didn’t matter what it took he wanted that vehicle. He had 36 $100 bills, so I said here ya go, here’s the bill of sale, with the AS IS, then I had to send him a photo of my Registration so he can get tags and insurance. When I moved back from Oklahoma to Arkansas about 3 weeks ago I had to have it transferred over (tags), so they took the title and said they’d mail it to me after it got back from the main office

Good deal for you Lawdawg. Same thing happened to me when I sold my daughters car. Guy called me next day complaining. Her car was a nice Honda Civic that I gave away for $1200.

Good deal for you Lawdawg. Same thing happened to me when I sold my daughters car. Guy called me next day complaining. Her car was a nice Honda Civic that I gave away for $1200.
Yeah I’ve learned my lesson about not putting As Is on stuff because folks seem to think they can return a vehicle they’ve been driving if it messes up. Yeah if it was brand new, but when you buy a 26 year old vehicle, and you’re in your early 20’s and FaceTiming your buddy during the test drive who has a coyote talking all sorts of mad crap, then no, I’m not going to take it back cause I know he was up till at least 3am because he was texting me till then asking about legal issues can he drive around without a tag, and driving it to his buddies houses, chances are he hot rodded the hell out of it lastnight.

You can bet the farm on him beating the cra p out of it, text him that if he gets tired of it you would buy it back.I'm sure he'll call within a month.Let us know when that happens,maybe we can get a pool together on when it happens,you know the date,time.:coff:

You can bet the farm on him beating the cra p out of it, text him that if he gets tired of it you would buy it back.I'm sure he'll call within a month.Let us know when that happens,maybe we can get a pool together on when it happens,you know the date,time.:coff:
I’m sure it’ll be soon. He was ok the phone with his buddy the entire test driver, then I did a quick drift around a circle in an old road area and he was hooked. Then all night he said I had to show it off to my peeps