some 5.0 n00b ?s

my70stang

Jul 16, 2005
Arizona
hey all,

if you havent noticed with all of the posts of transplanting a 5.0 with EFI into my classic, well i am

when i get it, i would like to swap some parts, one of which the intake manifold. so heres my questions. while looking through summit, i found some full manifolds.

1. From TrickFlow, BBK, Edelbrock, Ford Racing, and Holley, which do you recommend?

2. when looking at the specifics of them all, i see that they have multi-port injection. i really need help with this one, i hardly know the differences between this and MAF. does this mean im going to need 8 fuel injectors, 1 for each cylinder?

3. if yes to #2, do i need to replace the fuel rails as well?

finally, the throttle body

4. any suggestions on size/model?

5. if no to #2, are there fuel injectors in the throttle body?

if you can answer any of these dumb questions for me, i would greatly appreciate it

thanks, taylor

• Sponsors (?)

I can't really suggest a good aftermarket intake, the only ones I've ever used on a 5.0 were stock and an Explorer (cobra) intake. The explorer intake worked well.

All mustang 5.0's (at least 86 and newer) were multi-point injection, meaning that they have 8 injectors, one for each cylinder. the injectors go in the intake right before the cylinder heads, there are no injectors in the throttle body like on some fuel injection setups. If you have stock 5.0 fuel rails, they will work fine with an aftermarket intake.

Both the speed density and MAF (mass air) 5.0's were multi-point injection. The only difference is how they measure how much air is entering the engine, so they know how much fuel to add.

Hope that helps a bit.

I have the trick flow track heat and it works great, what manifold you choose really depends on what kinda power you plan to make, the holley systemmax2 and edelbrock RPM2 are great for boosted/nitrous cars, whereas the Edelbrock RPM1 and Trickflow Trackheat manifolds are great for just about everything else. I wouldnt really go with the cobra intake unless your hurting for money. As for TB's, if your just making your regular h/c/i 302, go with a 70mm accufab TB, accufabs are really great TB's its money well spent.