Some engine part questions

JMGlasgow

Advanced Member
Feb 19, 2017
I recently acquired a set of Trick Flow TW heads and other parts from a friend who had them on his '82 Capri back in the late 90's. They have aluminum stud mount roller rocker arms that I can't seem to identify. They are black, and the only marking on them is F16. I also think the heads are 170cc, is that the intake size? They have had a minor port job done on the intake. The heads also have pushrod guide plates.

Other parts I got are a set of JBA shorty chrome headers, Ford Motorsport valve covers, and ARP bolts.

A few questions:
1. What brand are the rockers?
2. Are JBA headers any good?
3. Can I use the valve covers? And if so, will I need an intake spacer and will it fit under a stock hood? (Explorer GT40 intake with internal EGR)
4. Can I reuse the head bolts?
5. Should I use Trick Flow pistons?
6. What cc are the combustion chambers?

Here are some pictures I took of the parts and any numbers I found.
IMAG0593.jpg
IMAG0594.jpg
IMAG0595.jpg
IMAG0596.jpg
IMAG0599.jpg

If you want or need any more pictures I can get them, just let me know what you want to see.

I'm planning a new engine build with these parts for my 1993 GT. It will be a street car so driveability is important. I'm hoping for a little over 300hp at the wheels. I also plan on using a stock block and no power adder.

• Sponsors (?)

Dan02gt

5 Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Greenville, NC
JBA makes some of the best headers you can get. Definitely use them. You could make the valve covers work, but I wouldn't. They are carb covers and are never going to be "right" on a EFI motor. You can also reuse the head bolts.

No clue on the rockers or combustion chamber size. I guess you could cc them if you have the stuff.

I'm thinking you'll be close to your 300hp goal with that setup.

May 15, 2018
Savannah
JBA makes some of the best headers you can get. Definitely use them. You could make the valve covers work, but I wouldn't. They are carb covers and are never going to be "right" on a EFI motor. You can also reuse the head bolts.

No clue on the rockers or combustion chamber size. I guess you could cc them if you have the stuff.

I'm thinking you'll be close to your 300hp goal with that setup.
I agree with this besides using the head bolts, if they’re torque to yield bolts that is. I wouldn’t reuse them. It only takes one time for a head bolt to snap or go soft while you’re torquing it to screw up your day. Ask me how I know lol.

If they’re arp bolts or studs then I’d say go for it.

Steel1

Advanced Member
Aug 18, 2017
Connecticut
I agree with this besides using the head bolts, if they’re torque to yield bolts that is. I wouldn’t reuse them. It only takes one time for a head bolt to snap or go soft while you’re torquing it to screw up your day. Ask me how I know lol.

If they’re arp bolts or studs then I’d say go for it.
Agreed, Head bolts I would not reuse, studs yes.

JMGlasgow

Advanced Member
Feb 19, 2017
So valve covers are not going to work, no big deal. Will I be able to use the stock covers then?

CarMichael Angelo

I don't like your attitude, let me fix that.
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
I don't think 5.0's have tty head bolts.
4.6's use them.

While replacing any bolt that has been torqued to a point of stretching is a good practice, Reusing head bolts has been done without incident since the dawn of the internal combustion engine. Unless the bolt is listed as a tty type..it can, and has been reused.

JMGlasgow

Advanced Member
Feb 19, 2017
Is there any difference with these heads from the 90's and today's TW fast as cast heads? Does anyone have any idea who made the rocker arms?