some fox convertable top help needed please

tvmango

Oct 27, 2003
bradenton florida
I have a 88 gt conv

My piston on the left side is leaking bad
Are they rebuildable of just replaceable? whares a good place for CHEAP replacement parts?,, not 5.0 resto prices

Has anyone removed the istons and pump etc, and just open and close the top by hand? Would be nice too save the weight and money..

thank you,, tony

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure if this will help

I have a 92 convertible and about a year and a half ago the piston on the left side went out and leaked hydraulic fluid all over my seat. I have been putting the top up and down by hand for that year and a half, and it works fine for me, although I beleive I have a little muscle, as it is necessary at times with the top, because you have to pull down on it reaaalllly hard. But hey, its worth it. The top looks like **** anyways

On another note, I just recently went to the junkyard and found a convert. 89, so i ripped the back seat out and pulled the motor and 2 pistons, was pretty easy, but im not sure about instalation. So if anyone knows how easy or hard this is, LET US KNOW. Thank you.

:D

I too have a vert that one of the cylinders took a crap on me, so I just gutted the whole hyd. system and I manual put it up and down. It can be a bit tough at times but I have yet to not be able to do it. The best thing is to lift in the middle of it. If you want the cylinders, try 5.0 resto for the parts. Good luck. :nice:

Yea, the only time I have a real big hassel is when i put the top down and put my gret boot over the top of it. Being pushed down and snapped in all day, it can be a real bitch, sometimes 2 or more inches you have to wrestle it down. You will get the hang of it.

92Frankenstein said:
I have a 92 convertible and about a year and a half ago the piston on the left side went out and leaked hydraulic fluid all over my seat. I have been putting the top up and down by hand for that year and a half, and it works fine for me, although I beleive I have a little muscle, as it is necessary at times with the top, because you have to pull down on it reaaalllly hard. But hey, its worth it. The top looks like **** anyways

On another note, I just recently went to the junkyard and found a convert. 89, so i ripped the back seat out and pulled the motor and 2 pistons, was pretty easy, but im not sure about instalation. So if anyone knows how easy or hard this is, LET US KNOW. Thank you.

:D

I replaced the cylinders and motor recently. Took me about an hour or so. Very easy.

i currently have the same problem with my '94 GT Vert - same cylinder is leaking (left side) which causes the top to not raise or drop. like you, i could raise it and lower it manually but if i were you, i would not do it. everytime you raise and lower it, you're still creating pressure in the lines which will cause more fluid to leak out of the cylinder each time you re'close the top. as bad as i have been wanting to put the top down on these recent nice texas days, i would much rather keep it up and not have liquid leaking all underneath my leather seats.