some non-stang tech in here

bimmertech

May 3, 2005
merriam, ks
alright, so i've been wrenchin on this Z4 for a week now and i am driving it home at night to make sure it's alright so i thought i would talk a little about some tech that we may not be aware of.

about the coolest thing about the Z4-imo-is the p/s, or lack thereof. the Z4 does not use a pump or hydraulic fluid to aid steering. instead it uses a big ass electric motor on the steering column to provide the assist. it has a very good feel, return to center and the best part is that they can vary the voltage increasing resistance as speed increases.

this photo is nothing special, but you will notice the lack of a p/s reservoir. i cannot wait until this type of tech makes it main stream and affordable.
View attachment 493377

• Sponsors (?)

GreenMustangGt said:
damn, that is nice.....seems to be a much simpler solution that pumps, lines, and hydraulics
yes it allows for a much cleaner install and more room when working around the engine. not to mention any power gains by not having to spin the pump.

the new 3 series comes equipped with an electric water pump that uses no thermostat. it regulates coolant temp by turning the w/p on and off, yet one more deivce that is not driven by the engine.

before long the only thing the engine will drive is the alternator. there is prolly a way to eliminate the a/c cmpressor-condensor just like they have gotten rid of coolant heated heater cores.

that's interesting. belts suck, losing hp sucks, too.

the other day my grandfather starts asking me what i know about bimmers, which is virtually nothing. he may be interested in getting one when he retires in a few months. any recommendations?

No doubt Ben. I totally agree with you. I love the feel of the Z4 steering with that electric set up. My favorite part is how it gets stiffer at higher speeds. First time I drove one I was like, daaamn, that feels good. Haha

Jeremy

bimmertech said:
this photo is nothing special, but you will notice the lack of a p/s reservoir.
Interesting stuff. That thing looks like it is nicely shoehorned in there - the lack of a PS pump was amongst the things that I could not see in that engine bay. :rlaugh:

I am with you all the way about some of this stuff making it mainstream. I also find that more and more of the new ideas I cant stand [from an "I, shadetree guy, might need to diagnose and fix that someday".] perspective.

And I guess if the alternator fails and systems are affected, that could suck (though we know they have safety safeguards to help with this). BMW owners will be doing (using made-up, extrapolated Ford nomenclature) 10G alternator upgrades to accomodate all the electric stuff with their systems and other add-ons. :D

i feel that if this stuff makes it mainstream that the average guy will be able to diagnose these systems, and easier too. the aftermarket has come through--in the fi era--with reasonbaly prices scanners/programmers and i feel they always will.

i feel one of the greatest features about this is that it does not rely on a belt. for instance, on a 03 GT if the belt goes you lose w/p, alt, p/s, and brake assist. on a z4 if the belt goes you lose w/p, alt. the steering will remain active until voltage drops to a predetermined level, after that you will have regular manual steering due to the fact you still have a steering shaft and steering rack.

and as far as shoehorned, you otta see the Z4 with a M5 V8 in it!!!!

and damn that plastic! it sometimes takes longer to take off all that **** than it does to do the damn job.