Some pictures of my project... The Mustang SHO

well, its been a long while since I posted progress, but I have been really busy and have only recently been able to do any work...still dont have much, but a few pictures for you....

tada016.jpg

tada017.jpg

making cardboard templates of the motor mounts

tada018.jpg

the finished(complete with custom aluminum collar) aerostar hydraulic TOB assembly, using a SHO TOB

more to come soon, I hope to make the actual mounts and weld them up next week, then I can start on the headers.....

Attachments

• tada016.jpg
    tada016.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 228
  • tada017.jpg
    tada017.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 210
  • tada018.jpg
    tada018.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 224
  • Sponsors (?)

Why not make a modified version of the RMP adjustable mounts. Not hard to do. If you get stuck for the poly bushings, you could always buy the RMP mounts and modify the block plate.
Just a thought.

I think anyone who has never driven or owned an SHO should not ask the question as to why anyone would want to do this swap. I had a 94 SHO with an Auto tranny. That would eat my 92 GT and my 04 GT's alive. 140mph in a family sedan is a little creepy when the car wasn't feeling vulnerable at that speed. When you feel the butterflies open up at 3500rpm under throttle you truly fall in love with the SHO technology. Think about everyone dropping 4.6's in older stangs, and the motors are so heavy they have to tube chassis half the car. My SHO had a verified 220hp at the flywheel and I could get over 30mpg. Not bad for something that I spanked a Z28 at the dragstrip. I say kudos to you and this swap. I was wanting to do the swap myself. I was gonna drop it into a Mustang II I got sitting around and put an AOD behind it.

looking at the RMP mounts it doesnt really look like they would fit....or not easily....but it does at least give me an idea as to how I could use inserts and make my mounts as 2 pieces(the one piece mount was worrying me as far as installation goes)

not much to report since my last posting unfortunately, the project is still on, but currently at a halt due to other things I have going on(I've actually been finishing a couple other cars of mine first, which were closer to completion) However I have made a little progress on the intake manifold, I've fabbed up the 300zx throttle bodies and linked them together to make a twin-entry intake manifold(mainly to prevent having to flip the intake manifold and to make the planned twin turbos easier)

not much to report since my last posting unfortunately, the project is still on, but currently at a halt due to other things I have going on(I've actually been finishing a couple other cars of mine first, which were closer to completion) However I have made a little progress on the intake manifold, I've fabbed up the 300zx throttle bodies and linked them together to make a twin-entry intake manifold(mainly to prevent having to flip the intake manifold and to make the planned twin turbos easier)

Good to hear from you. I know how it is with other things getting in the way. I've been at a standstill with my 68 for a couple of years now. I've had so many things happen (bad/good/otherwise, but mostly bad) that I just can't put anymore money into it now.

Keep us updated.

About '80-81, probably before the whole "monster truck/Bigfoot" thing took off, my neighbor put an early Bronco chassis under a Mustang II body. He had her jacked waaay up with 44s under it. Hadn't thought about that for years...

I need some suggestions guys...I've been taking some measurments and assuming I use a TCP rack and pinion there is one spot in the engine bay the SHO engine will fit without me having to make a custom oil pan or trim the shock towers...only one issue...this moves the engine forward about 2.5"...not a big deal as far as handling goes since it was shorter than the 289 to begin with...but the adapter plate I'm using for the tranny will only make up for about 1/2" of that...leaving the shifter location 2" further forward than most t5 conversions...which creates the issue of it being hard to shift into 3rd and 5th...I never did care for the stock bent shifter....so I was wondering if I could could make a linkage system similar to the mustangs plus one...but lower profile that I'd be able to hide under a custom(or modified) console....but I have no idea how to go about creating a linkage system...I plan on using a steeda tri-ax shifter btw

Moving the shifter back was necessary when installing a T-5 into a late thunderbird. The MN12 guys came up with a slick kit, but they may not be offering it anymore. Take a look at this website for the MN12 shifter.

If that kit is no longer available, another option would be to cut the shifter box from another T-5 and weld it to the end of your existing box and add an extension ala the MN12 piece.

Or you could kludge something together like I did for my Locost using an old Mazda shifter. Looks funky, but works well.

Attachments

• extension.jpg
    extension.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 329
can someone tell me what this piece is on the SHO?
It isn't on mine so I am going to have to locate one but I need to know what I am looking for.

Attachments

• sho.jpg
    sho.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 316
Party foul on Wicked93's situation a Stang 2 with an SHO would be extremely lovely to beat on in my opinion. I used to have a 94 SHO, 33mpg over 200HP and could stomp anything that I went up against on the backroads. Conveniently or inconviently to me for fundage I have located a 95 SHO with a bad automatic tranny for less than $1000.

Here, I thought I was the only person exploring the notion of a SHO transplant into a 65/66 Mustang. I just found this thread only a week ago, darn, someone beat me to it. Anyway, wicked93gs, I appreciate your in-depth coverage and explanation of the many hurdles to face. I've read tons of conflicting info regarding bell housings. Exactly what Aerostar engine was mated to the bell? What years might be the same? I know the SHO will mate to a Ranger/Explorer manual (Mazda built), but unknown if it's the v6 or I4 pattern. I also know it bolts to an Aerostar auto, but again, unknown year and engine. I've read where other bells may work, but nothing confirmed. There must be some kind of standard bell pattern across a bunch of engines in the ford line. Who here has had first had experience?