somebody shoot me!

Modular2v

Founding Member
Jun 30, 2002
oklahoma
ok im really frustrated right now but bare with me guys, I went to the track on the windiest day so that could account for something but check this out

OLD SETUP: 331 stroker, ported/milled c9 heads, stealth intake, trick flow stage 3 cam, Holley 750dp, mechanical water pump/ power steering
best all motor pass: shifted at 6000

60ft:1.657
330:4.936
1/8:7.685
mph:90.10
1000ft:10.062
1/4: 12.067 @ 112.54

New setup: 331 stroker, Twisted wedge heads, Victor jr intake, trick flow stage 3 cam, holley 750dp, electric waterpump, convert to manual steering.
Best all motor pass last night: shifted at 6400;& added roll cage

60ft:1.708
330:5.118
1/8: 7.940
mph:88.18
1000ft: 10.464
1/4: [email protected]

Guys, tell im not crazy in thinking the new setup should go faster than the old one:shrug: Maybe im not driving it right now? Maybe my loss in compression caused me to slow down, maybe the track conditions sucked? I just need some input. Im really tempted to go with a big cubed windsor. It didnt help that my car was all over the track last night because it was so windy...... im just at a loss for words i guess. I spend 1100 dollars and the thing slows down? i know that the name of the game and im going to keep fiddiling with it because maybe its just a tuning issue. I know that im not going to spray on it until i get it figured out though that for sure......surely the c9s are not a better performer than the twisted wedges :bang: The only thing good i can take away from last night is that the car was pulling the wheels off the ground pretty good but once it gets into high gear it just seems like it runs out of steam and does not move through the rpms as fast as it use to

• Sponsors (?)

Could be a number of things and not even the motor. Your best pass with the old motor may have been a much lower density altitude. Different temps and humidity make a difference. How many miles on the new motor? I noticed your 60' was a tad slower but I don't think enough to add .5 to your time. How much weight did the cage add?

To me it looks like it lost it up top, as your 1/8th mph was fairly close to your old one, but your 1/4 mph was a lot different. The wind and weather could have been a big factor, however. I reccommend checking to be sure your timing and everything is set properly, and take it to the track on a better day. The aluminum heads like more aggressive timing, maybe you could try bumping it up some more and see what it does if you haven't already? Good luck.

I agree, it's probally in the tune. Check your plugs right after a run. Get a A:F monitor.

Another possibility is you lost a lot of bottom end, I noticed your 60ft was down.

Those heads are kind of big on a 302 to begin with, then a stage 3 cam, and a victor intake. Unless your turning 7000+rpm, your engine isn't able to really benneift.

Maby put the old intake on and see what happens. A 15 hp gain is worthless if it cost 30 in torque.

its a 331 not a 302......care has alot of suspension work done, it lifted the wheels pretty good. i have not messed with the timing much yet. The valve springs are matched to the cam. Cage weighed in at 80lbs so it should not have lost more than a tenth and the weight i lost from the accessory drives and aluminum heads should have counter acted that! The car feels great down low but it just does not push through the rpms in 3rd and 4th like it use to which makes me think its a timing issue......My distributor sucks ass too, its a stock 1985 mustang Gt distributor and still has vac advance so that might be the problem all together :( Thanks for the replies guys and i welcom constructive critcism!

yes sounds kinda funny to me. You should have gone faster. There could be an issue with that dizzy though. Vacuum advance what the heck are you running that for? I would also suggest running the rpm's up higher. Your cam wants near 7000rpm and so does your intake. If you pull harder you should be closer to optimal power band in the next gear.

yes sounds kinda funny to me. You should have gone faster. There could be an issue with that dizzy though. Vacuum advance what the heck are you running that for? I would also suggest running the rpm's up higher. Your cam wants near 7000rpm and so does your intake. If you pull harder you should be closer to optimal power band in the next gear.

how high can i take the stock roller lifters?

The lifters are definitely good for 7000+ RPM. Had them run in a 331 stroker and they are hard to beat.

Your problem, I feel, it with your distributor. At around 6000 RPM you are pushing a lot of air into that chamber, very rapidly. Your distributor will DEFINITELY have a problem if it is the stock piece. Alot of air and fuel is nice but if you can't burn it, it is of no use. It won't be able to accurately advance the timing so aggressively, seeing as the original 85 mustang topped out revs at 5500 rpm.

Another reason why you might not have experienced this problem with the higher compression ratio, is that the higher compression ratio would have helped out igniting the mixture by just compressing the mixture itself.(similar to how a diesel works)

I would consider getting a better distributor, thicker wires, a good cap and rotor, and some top notch plugs that are properly gapped.

Best of luck!