Somebody Show Me What Those Stupid Rear Brake Dust Shields Are Supposed To Look Like.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Ok, Putting the rear back together, and this time I've decided to reuse the brake dust shields. What should be a no brainer has me wondering why there are two little bent tabs that appear to go to nothing, and why the fit I'm getting isn't exactly right.
qr5b.jpg

2r3i.jpg

Also those two little detents right above the tangs actually hold the plate off the mount bracket.

This shouldn't be that hard.

• Sponsors (?)

I hate to think this but could you be bolting them on the wrong side? If the detents hold the plates off then then must be turned over or reversed side to side.

I hate to think this but could you be bolting them on the wrong side? If the detents hold the plates off then then must be turned over or reversed side to side.
Man! Looked at all of that.
I had them swapped side to side. Didn't make any difference. They only go on one way. ( That's why I wanted to see one installed) I can put them on one side or the other of the caliper mt bkt. On one side,... they'll bolt up. On the other they won't.

Man! Looked at all of that.
I had them swapped side to side. Didn't make any difference. They only go on one way. ( That's why I wanted to see one installed) I can put them on one side or the other of the caliper mt bkt. On one side,... they'll bolt up. On the other they won't.
Didn't mean to offend was just brainstorming. Looks like @RangerJoe saved the day this time!

Didn't mean to offend was just brainstorming. Looks like @RangerJoe saved the day this time!

You didn't offend me. I was just voicing that I've done all of that. If this is the way that they are supposed to go, then so be it. I don't understand why they incorporated those stupid tangs, and the detents that hold the plate off the flange.

No problem. I couldn't remember how I did it, so I had to look around on the web. The little tangs make me wonder if the shields are fitted to another model of Ford car as well.

Joe