someone bought my car and is having problems with the axle leaking oil...need info

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
so I sold a car and I had the person who bought the car call me all upset because the drivers side axle has a oil leak. I don't remember this leaking at all and I'm going out of my way to help get it fixed for him, but he wants me to give him $1000 for a new rearend housing because he said the housing is bad. I wanted to get some info from you guys to see if he really needs a housing or not. Here is the email he sent me with the problem he is saying that it has. Its a 9" rear end swapped into a 65 mustang.

The car is a great car except for the rearend. I have had to shops look at it and was there when each took it apart. The housing is the early model and did not have axle seals. What keeps the oil from leaking is a oil ring around the outside of the bearing and the bearing itself also is suposed to keep oil from the brakes. What has happened either during the rear end being used and repaired over the years the housing where the bearing seats got badly groved. This can`t be repaired and to keep oil from leaking onto the brakes I will have to replace the housing.

now I could have sworn these had axle seals that press into the tube and keep the oil from even coming in contact with the bearing....

• Sponsors (?)

All Ford rear axles have seals that I know of. The seals press into the housing and seal against a machined surface that is just inside of the bearing fit. The most common cause is worn bearings, but sometimes the bearings are fine, but the axle may have a groove worn in it, to fix that there are offset seals available. Having said all that, it's not your problem, no way, no how. The buyer has no legal recourse whatsoever and now is a fine time for him to learn that. When I sold my '65 fastback years ago, the new owner bent a fistfull of pushrods showing off for his Dad. He called me the next day complaining, but I told him as nicely as I could that while I was sorry, it was now his car, for better or worse. Same with your situation, I understand wanting to help him, but in the end, only a fool would give the new owner a nickel.

"Sold as is." If he wants a warranty tell him to go buy a time machine and go back and get the 50 year extended. Next he'll want a new motor because the cyl walls are worn in the motor.:nono:damn I'm in a bad mood. Pay no mind to me.:(

"Sold as is." If he wants a warranty tell him to go buy a time machine and go back and get the 50 year extended. Next he'll want a new motor because the cyl walls are worn in the motor.:nono:damn I'm in a bad mood. Pay no mind to me.:(
well its kind of a long story. I never really drove the car and I had the ad listed and it said the axle had a posi in it. He then called and asked if there was any gear noise or leaks. I told him the car was good and didnt have any of those problems. He got the car and got all pissed off because I guess the drivers side wheel bearing was leaking, there was a vibration from the rearend, and the car ended up having a spool (which it could have had, but I wasnt sure). He has been emailing all these nasty messages.....I wasnt responding to them so they kept getting worse....and he just filed some fraud thing with ebay.

He wants to do a complete overhaul on the axle, install a limited slip, and have me buy a new housing from summit thats $1,000. I don't really know what to do as I've never had this problem and I don't really remember the car having any of these issues. He did point out in one of the pictures in the ad you can see some oil on the inside of the drivers side tire, but I never noticed it before.....but there is proof that the axle was leaking before it left here. I just want to try and resolve this without being a jerk, and having to spend too much money.

View attachment 294120

oh and 10sec did you get my pm on turboforums about the sbc kit?

If that is a leak, then why didn't he see it before he laid out the cash? Don't feel like you intentionally mislead him, he had the option of looking the car over carefully beforehand, but now he wants a warrantee on a 40 year old car? Stand your ground on this one. Did the person you bought it from help pay for anything after you bought it? Sure would have been nice, but I seriously doubt it. He's got a set of cajones for even asking.

If I bought a car off ebay the owner told me had posi and it had a spool, I'd be pretty pissed.

There's no way that's streetable. I think it's admirable that you are trying to do the right thing and help the guy out.

Also, how the hell is it fraud if you posted a picture of the leak? People that buy a 40 year old car and expect perfection piss me off. The person I bought my fastback from lied like a rug about any question I asked, moslty because the car belonged to his 93 year old mother-in-law and he knew absolutely nothing about cars at all. But I knew that car was what I wanted and I was born with good vision and had researched my stuff beforehand, just like this dipwad that bought your car should have. Don't let him buffalo you with ebay charges. He has no legal recourse, if you don't believe me, consult a lawyer, it doesn't cost that much just to talk to one.

If I bought a car off ebay the owner told me had posi and it had a spool, I'd be pretty pissed.

There's no way that's streetable. I think it's admirable that you are trying to do the right thing and help the guy out.
I friend of mine bought a '57 Chevy off ebay for waaaaaay more than he should have. When it got here, it was a total bondo-wagon, with rust everywhere, a knocking six banger and it looked terrible in person. The owner intentionally mislead him with pictures that showed what he wanted and left out the bad parts. The motor expired within a month, to top it off. Guess what? That's what people get for not inspecting a car in person, or paying a pro to assess the car beforehand. You could be pissed all you want, but in the end it's YOUR fault and you have no one to blame but yourself.

The guy is throwing out all these big $ prices on getting stuff fixed. It seems like he wants to replace everything with the best of the best parts partly on my dime.

I was thinking about sending him a factory limited slip with a drivers axle seal. The emails he sent me all talk about how he trusted my word, how i'm a liar, blah blah blah and that stuff kinda gets to me.

Just want tolet you know your the second person in 40 years that there word ment nothing. The first was an Arab. That puts you in the same class. That should make mama proud. The more I think about this the more I realize you knew very little about the car. You weren`t the one who did the work . I will keep in contact. Maybe some day I will be able to talk to the people who are proud of you. This will cost me probly 2500. to make the car right thanks again for the reaming.

The total rearend housing and differential has to be replaced. The axle housing has grooves in it of the drivers side which you could see in the underneath photos you took and I asked you about. There is no seal to hold oil in this type of housing. You told me no leaks and I took you at your word? You said it was a posi in the listing and it is not it is a spool which is for drag racing and I took you at your word? I asked about bearing noise and vibrations and you said no and I took you at your word? Now we no your word means screw you I got the money. What comes around goes around which you will learn later in life. Like I said before I bet your mother would be proud of you for pulling this one off, give her a pat on the back for me.

Thanks again.

The car is a great car except for the rearend. I have had to shops look at it and was there when each took it apart. The housing is the early model and did not have axle seals. What keeps the oil from leaking is a oil ring around the outside of the bearing and the bearing itself also is suposed to keep oil from the brakes. What has happened either during the rear end being used and repaired over the years the housing where the bearing seats got badly groved. This can`t be repaired and to keep oil from leaking onto the brakes I will have to replace the housing. I was will to replace the differential but not replacing the housing which is 1000. at summit. If you look back at the picture of under the car and at the driverside wheel you can see oil streaks on the tire that is why I asked the question about the oil leaks. I am willing to replace the differential but would like you to take care of the housing. I think that is a fair solution. I took you at your word and in good faith bought the car for a fair price. Please let me know. I don`t think this is unreasonable a request.

All right, here is what I say. If you feel complelled to help cover his cost on this then I understand that.

There is no reason he needs a new axle housing. The car came with a used one and if you want to be a nice guy and get him another one, there is no reason another used 8" housing wouldn't be a fine replacement.

As far as the posi vs locker issue is concerned, he can't complain too much. I'm sure he can sell his locker and get a good posi with a small amount of extra cash outlay. You didn't know which it had in it and in the future, if you don't check you should say it has some form or another of a rear end in it other then an open diff but you aren't sure what type. Just be more vague in the future if you aren't sure.

I friend of mine bought a '57 Chevy off ebay for waaaaaay more than he should have. When it got here, it was a total bondo-wagon, with rust everywhere, a knocking six banger and it looked terrible in person. The owner intentionally mislead him with pictures that showed what he wanted and left out the bad parts. The motor expired within a month, to top it off. Guess what? That's what people get for not inspecting a car in person, or paying a pro to assess the car beforehand. You could be pissed all you want, but in the end it's YOUR fault and you have no one to blame but yourself.
I probably had about 80 fullsize pictures in the ad. I even put the car on a lift and took around 20 pictures of the underneath.. The car was freaken CLEAN.

View attachment 294074
View attachment 294076
View attachment 294078
View attachment 294080
View attachment 294082

Dark, I got your PM, I guess you didn't get mine back huh ? I gave you prices and what not.I'll resend it.

If he wants to be an ass, call his bluff. Take the car back and give him the money back. see how he likes that. Housing's aren't 1k. Housing AND axles are like 973 from Summit. Now I have a hard time believing that the housing is causing leak and ways. If it wore a groove, it did it in the axle. If it's the end of the world, put a seal saver on it and call it a day. Regardless he's trying to upgrade to nice stuff on your dollar. I'm all for being honorable and fixing it, but damn.

I probably had about 80 fullsize pictures in the ad. I even put the car on a lift and took around 20 pictures of the underneath

I saw your ad, I thought it was VERY good and showed everything he could even hope for, but in the end, he has no legs to stand on. It's his fault he didn't examine the car in person and his fault for expecting a brand-new car. BTW, his spelling and grammer (not to mention his racism) suggest someone under 20. My guess is waay under 20! He's a goon trying to push you around with big talk. Spend a little time and money with a lawyer or legal service and see what they recommend before you shell out anything to fix HIS car.

Dark, I got your PM, I guess you didn't get mine back huh ? I gave you prices and what not.I'll resend it.

If he wants to be an ass, call his bluff. Take the car back and give him the money back. see how he likes that. Housing's aren't 1k. Housing AND axles are like 973 from Summit. Now I have a hard time believing that the housing is causing leak and ways. If it wore a groove, it did it in the axle. If it's the end of the world, put a seal saver on it and call it a day. Regardless he's trying to upgrade to nice stuff on your dollar. I'm all for being honorable and fixing it, but damn.

yea I didnt get a pm about any of the sbc stuff.

I wish I could have offered him a refund. I had owed more than 1/2 of what the car sold for on the car, then the rest went towards bills.......well.....the AFR cylinder heads I bought were part of the bills too :p

Darko, I think you completely screwed yourself:nono: by offering to make something good that you had no knowlege of to start with. Let him take you to small claims court if he persists with him expecting you to make it good at his prices. Otherwise tell him off in typical Michigan language. If he gets ugly about it, bust his nose.:rlaugh:

I don't know much about ebay, or if you are liable for saying something and it ending up being something else. What I can say is I read his emails that you posted and I wouldn't stand for what he is saying, and the tone. I don't know if you offered any insurance but it is a 40+ year old car and he should start getting used to needing new parts till it is completely new. He said the pic on ebay had oil on the tire, and he asked you if it leak you said no why didn't he point it out when he was talking to you or before he bought it. Doesn't make sense. If i was you I would say screw you and get used to buying part for it, if not he should of payed a hell amount of money for one that he wouldn't be b**ching about. This is just for being rude, now if he would of been nicer, or different tone than it would be a completely different story. I have a friend who is just like him blaming others of everything, its his fault for not spending extra money to have it professionally inspected.