Someone hit the shi* out of my Saleen front bumper, do you think it's repairable?

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
I got hit yesterday when someone made a left turn and slammed right into my front bumper. On the pictures below, I noticed that there aren't any dents in the Saleen front bumper, the only visible damage is the paint that got scratched off. Do you think judging by the pictures that I can just get this front bumper re-painted then re-attached? All of the other parts of the car are in great condition and the headlights still work even though the left one seems out of place.

bumper2.jpg

bumper1.jpg

Attachments

• bumper2.jpg
    bumper2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 336
  • bumper1.jpg
    bumper1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Sponsors (?)

droptopponynj said:
Looks like just surface damage, but have someone check all the mounting points etc to make sure they are torn up. Hopefully just cosmetic. Hit and run?

It wasn't a hit and run, it was a lady trying to make a left turn from a shopping center and hit me head on. I'm actually really impressed about how urethane held up, I don't see any dents and it was hit head on by a 96' Honda Civic at about 25mph I think.

That sucks. As said above, check, or have someone check the mounting points for damage. The actual damage to the bumper itself on the front definately looks repairable. A weekend of some sanding and perhaps some urethane body filler could easily repair that (based on the pictures provided.)

sgarlic said:
That sucks. As said above, check, or have someone check the mounting points for damage. The actual damage to the bumper itself on the front definately looks repairable. A weekend of some sanding and perhaps some urethane body filler could easily repair that (based on the pictures provided.)

The right passenger side mounting points are torn from the screw (i just checked when I went outside). I was originally planning to take the bumper to the paint shop who painted my S281 wing (they did a great job filling in any imperfections) but when I noticed the right mounting holes were torn from it's screw, I'm going to take it to Chicane Sport Tuning (where they installed Saleen kit) and see what I can do... But it looks like I'm just going to have to get a whole new front bumper aren't I...

Stang|ess said:
why does it matter? ladies insurance should be paying for it right? just get a new bumper, and have no worries.
yeah, why are you worried about it?:shrug:

btw, if it was a Type-R the vtec would've kicked in and your car would've been totalled

teH !!VTEC! cAN nEvAR LuUZe!!, and all that:(

Stang|ess said:
why does it matter? ladies insurance should be paying for it right? just get a new bumper, and have no worries.

I'm worried about it because according to the police, the left turn I made can only be legally done within 200 feet. Carl's Jr. happened to be around 368 feet away. The police told the Civic driver that since traffic got backed up and cars made some room for her to turn left out into traffic that she shouldn't have made the turn because she couldn't see what was in the center lane (which was me) therefore it was not safe for her to turn. The police told me that I can be in the middle lane to make a left only if my destination is within 200 feet. So I'm afraid the insurance company might say it's both our fault. We both have AAA insurance, so I hear that speeds up the claims process however, I also heard that since we're with the same insurance company, they might split the liability 50/50. :(

You shouldn't have to split anything, it wasn't ur fault that she didn't think before she drove.

Isnt it usually the police who decide who's fault it was?.. that's how it's always been with me when i've been hit

I wouldnt worry about it, insurance will cover and you can get a new bumper instead of fixing that one

jasonh_86 said:
You shouldn't have to split anything, it wasn't ur fault that she didn't think before she drove.

Isnt it usually the police who decide who's fault it was?.. that's how it's always been with me when i've been hit

I wouldnt worry about it, insurance will cover and you can get a new bumper instead of fixing that one

Should I make print outs from Saleen on how much the front bumper costs plus written estimates of how much it costs to paint and install for the insurance company to see?

Seraphitia102 said:
Should I make print outs from Saleen on how much the front bumper costs plus written estimates of how much it costs to paint and install for the insurance company to see?

Yeah, just for the assurance of knowing you've given it to them. That's what i've done with my cars in the past, going to a well-known body shop that you like and getting them to give a full estimate and printing it off.. have them factor in the cost of the Saleen bumper at their cost and all that stuff, that way you wont get screwed outta the deal.

Good luck with it tho, hope everything works out :nice:

Edit: I worked at the most reputable body shop in my area for over a year and whenever a car would come in that hadn't been given the amount from the insurance company that it costed to fix, we would call and make the insurance company pay out. They wouldn't hold the customer's car, but this very RARELY happened. I think it only happened on 1 Porsche and another car, but it had some damage that wasnt able to be seen until stuff had been taken apart

jasonh_86 said:
Yeah, just for the assurance of knowing you've given it to them. That's what i've done with my cars in the past, going to a well-known body shop that you like and getting them to give a full estimate and printing it off.. have them factor in the cost of the Saleen bumper at their cost and all that stuff, that way you wont get screwed outta the deal.

Good luck with it tho, hope everything works out :nice:

Edit: I worked at the most reputable body shop in my area for over a year and whenever a car would come in that hadn't been given the amount from the insurance company that it costed to fix, we would call and make the insurance company pay out. They wouldn't hold the customer's car, but this very RARELY happened. I think it only happened on 1 Porsche and another car, but it had some damage that wasnt able to be seen until stuff had been taken apart

Thanks for the friendly advice, I'll be sure to try and get estimates from the paint shop, Chicane Sport Tuning and Saleen. :)