sometimes, all that glitters is not gold

jerry S

Sep 3, 2003
52.22N 5.12E
this is a story about getting my cylinder heads ported. I called to at least 15 different places. Most places don't port my heads (Edelbrock RPM Performers) and prefer to work with Trick Flows. I called to AVenger, part of FPS, and got the low down. The guy I talked to asked what year of RPM Performers I had. He explained that the early style heads flowed maybe 215 (Performers) and 220 (Performer RPMs) on intake before being re-designed a few years ago. The new design, he explained, bumped the flow on the RPMs up to about 245 cfm, and made these new heads essentially Victor Jr. "lites.". He said that Edelbrock will claim 251 cfm of intake flow at .500 lift for these newer heads on its website but this is overstated. It is more like 244. With his CNC program, he can bring the flow of the new style heads up to 275 cfm at .500 of lift. They faxed me a chart of the flow sheet along with a quote.

I wanted to do some comparison shopping so I called to another place, whom I shall not name, and asked if they had a CNC program for my heads. This place once finished in the top 5 of the Engine Masters Challenge and they specialize in Fords. With his CNC program, they get the flow of the RPMs up to 251 cfm.

I was puzzled. "This is what Edelbrock claims these heads flow out of the box," I pointed out.

He replied, "no way, not on my bench. It is only 220 or so."

"But aren't those the numbers for the older style heads before Edelbrock re-designed them?" I asked.

This is the scary part.

"No, these heads were never re-designed." They have been the same since day one."

I said, "um, ok. Can you fax or email me the specs on what my heads would flow after the CNC program?

Answer: "No."

Me: "Um, can you at least tell me over the phone what the heads will flow at .100, .200, .300, etc?"

Answer: "No."

Me: "Ok, thanks for your time. Good bye."

So can anyone guess which one is going to do my heads?

• Sponsors (?)

Some people just don't get the importance of customer service. They think that their knowledge of a cetain subject is what keeps the business going. To a certain point this is true, but think, he just lost you as a potential customer. How many other customers has he potentialy lost for poor customer service.

Then again some people are just dillholes.:rlaugh: And why do they put the dillhole on the phone? He should be in the back screwing up a good set of heads.

FPS built my shortblock and they about laughed when i said I had my heads done by Powerheads in Fullerton,Ca. Needless to say i have over 2K in these heads and FPS had to redo what was already done. The place that ported them also dod not give a sheet but guessed because they already did a set............I was going on their nice BS ad in the mags.

I know you have probably made your decision at this point but have you checked into Total engine airflow? Hopefully that is not one of the places you talked to but they do very good work. As you said they also specalize in TW heads but do many others as well. I had Brian do a set of TW heads for me and was very happy with the work and the customer service. Good luck with who ever you have do your heads.