Sorry Another Egr Delete Thread

95blkstang

Jun 30, 2004
I did an extensive search but it seems that all the threads don't have a definitive answer. I deleted my smog pump along with complete EGR valve system. My question is , The three solenoids under the passenger side wheel, can I unplug them or leave them plugged in, cap the the two ports on them or no caps. Obviously my concern is the check engine light and not having the engine run properly. I left the egr valve plugged in cause from reading I will get a check engine just alone from that.

• Sponsors (?)

You can put the egr valve back on, just clean it and make sure it functions and leave those solenoids hooked up too.
It should have no effect on how the engine runs and the cel will stay off.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

So can I disconnect the solenoids without getting a check engine or compromising performance.
IMG_5638.JPG

Ohhhh, now you tell me, and I was ready to rip ya, or buy them from ya.
Yea, it will just have a perpetual code, the cl may light up once in a while but it can live without them. Cap off the vac line that runs to it.
Your screwed if you ever need emissions test, feds say the emissions stuff has to be there and functional but if they don't inspect then no worries.
Thats as far as I know, someone will chime in if I'm wrong, I was wrong once before.

Just did same.. after the Vortech install (and swapping 90% of a 95 cobra over to a fresh '95 v6) I basically was building from scratch as well. I took it all off. Yes it will throw a code but if you are doing this as a project and plan to make it a fairly fast driver.. you will probably get it tuned? They can easily delete all that crap off the chip and turn the light off. I also highly suggest getting a quarterhorse and wideband 02 if you go that route.

The Tab/Tad and the vac. ball was removed on my car. Not too worried about it defaulting to defrost at WOT.. car will only be driven on nice days.

EGR is also ugly and makes it a pain to work around it if you're constantly working on your car.. I don't miss mine. I have the smog pump gone as well and running an offroad x.. so.. no real reason to have it there. (yes I know what it does)

Just a update. All the solenoids were disconnected and I have the egr plugged in with the plunger taped halfway until I get a plug I ordered on ebay to eliminate a possible check engine light. So for zero check engine light.

You won't get a check engine light but you'll still have a code since the egr valve isn't moving (the resistance doesn't change). The better way is some tuning software and a chip to shut it down - then you can also do whatever you want with your injectors, MAF, etc. You can do so for as little as $150 or so (Jaybird+f3+TunerPro from Moates). QuarterHorse+BinaryEditor is better of course.