sorry, another "what's it worth" thread... (help?)

TazerRE

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Okay, so it's looking like I'm gonna be selling my 69. My stangnet bros (and ladies, of course) will of COURSE have first crack at it, but this is NOT a for-sale thread, I know better than that (Oboe, 2bav8, you guys can relax now... :D ).

I have a bunch of pics this time, if I can talk somebody into hosting them for me, I'd VERY much appreciate it. Or tell me how to do it myself, that'd be cool too. I really need some help figuring out an asking price on this.

Here's all the facts:
car had been sitting in a garage for 18 years when I got it in July of 02. Didn't run. I got her to run, and she's been running great since.

New Parts: New cap, wires, Bosch Plat. plugs. Flamethrower coil and pertronix Ignitor kit. New starter. New clutch (disc, pressure plate, T/O bearing), tires less than 8 months old. Rebuilt carb about 10 months ago, no problems there. New fan belt about 5 months ago. Halogen bulbs (all 4). And believe it or not, I actually found a correct, functioning TVS (though it took me like 3 hours at a junkyard last summer...)

Reason for sale: College is kinda time/money prohibitive, and I LOVE this car, I don't want to see it deteriorate because with school I just don't have the resources to fix her up.

Problems: I had to put a 70 tranny in it (3spd stick), and the first gear synchro is gone. The tailshaft seal also is messed up, so it spins a bit of gear oil onto the driveshaft and the underside of the car. First cylinder of the block has messed up piston rings, smokes some. Radiator evidently had an unfortunate meeting with the fan at some point in the vehicle's career, though as far as I can tell does NOT leak. The block itself also leaks some oil, I think it's the front main seal. The e-brake release handle just randomly snapped off one day, you can still use the e-brake, you just have to reach under the dash and slide the thing. There is a rust spot in the trunk on the drivers side wheelwell that is through the metal (I think), though some PO riveted a piece of stainless over it, don't ask me why. The pass. side window hardware needs to be replaced.

The car at one point had an unfortunate meeting with a telephone pole, bending in some of the rear pass. side qtr panel. I was also reaended ( :mad: ) a few months ago, and the rear lower valence is bent up.

Other interesting stuff: The car is ABSOLUTELY reliable. It sounds worrisome, with the block and all that, but I'm telling you straight, the car is RELIABLE. I've only had one problem EVER with it leaving me stranded (in two years of daily driving), and that's because I did something really really stupid with a brake cylinder. It runs great, idles great, revs great, everything. I would trust this car to go across the country without a reservation in my mind, seriously. I also have the original Philco radio, though it isn't installed (I had a kenwood deck in there). There are cheap 6.5s in the package tray, and holes for two more in the door panels (no, I did NOT put them there).

I really appreciate any help you guys could give me with this, I'm just trying to figure out how best to part with my baby. Pic hosting or instruction would be GREATLY appreciated. If I've forgotten any relevant info, let me know, happy to provide.

Thanks everybody,
-Neil

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks Ozsum... I'm trying to keep myself realistic here, I know it's in pretty rough shape.

Incidentally (not to argue with you, just to detail...), the engine RUNS great. I cannot complain for a second about how it runs. Smokes a bit, yeah, and leaks a bit, but as far as driving the car is concerned, it's great. I think maybe it sounded worse than it is in my original post.

The tranny shifts fine, just don't try to downshift 2-1... heh...

What you said about body work... okay, got me there. It's messy.

Radiator banged up, true, but doesn't leak.

What were you referring to with the frame rail damage?

Also, more stuff I forgot, just replaced the motor mounts (they didn't fail, they just got nasty/soft), and the chrome is in good shape (including the wheel covers, all 4, original). Also, interior is original and in GOOD shape for original.

I'm not trying to drive up your estimate man, I know I'm not gonna get a lot of money for it (she's still a piece of... yeah... no argument), I'm just trying to give the most detail, so I can get the best idea of what I'm looking at.

Appreciated.

TazerRE said:
Thanks Ozsum... I'm trying to keep myself realistic here, I know it's in pretty rough shape.

Incidentally (not to argue with you, just to detail...), the engine RUNS great. I cannot complain for a second about how it runs. Smokes a bit, yeah, and leaks a bit, but as far as driving the car is concerned, it's great. I think maybe it sounded worse than it is in my original post.

The tranny shifts fine, just don't try to downshift 2-1... heh...

What you said about body work... okay, got me there. It's messy.

Radiator banged up, true, but doesn't leak.

What were you referring to with the frame rail damage?

Also, more stuff I forgot, just replaced the motor mounts (they didn't fail, they just got nasty/soft), and the chrome is in good shape (including the wheel covers, all 4, original). Also, interior is original and in GOOD shape for original.

I'm not trying to drive up your estimate man, I know I'm not gonna get a lot of money for it (she's still a piece of... yeah... no argument), I'm just trying to give the most detail, so I can get the best idea of what I'm looking at.

Appreciated.

If you have rust so bad that it ate through the trunk, it could have very easily affected the frame rails. Also, the rearend collision, and the telephone pole in the side could have bent it. Something to consider. I'm sure the engine runs fine, but know that any smoke coming from it means that it needs a rebuild in the market place. It's not going to make you money, but rather the opposite.

Ozsum's right on this one. Compression tested, the works, it's the rings. :notnice:

Oh, I know I'm not gonna get back what I've put in. That's almost an unhappy given on these cars...

The trunk rust thing is WEIRD. I would almost venture to say that the trunk weathersealing had a hole in it and it just dripped there. You're totally right about the possibility of frame though.

Thanks guys, keep 'em comin. :flag: