Sound deadener for 65 Mustang

Rye425

May 25, 2007
CT
For 1965 Mustang Fastback

Well I'm at the point where I'm ready for the interior since I got all my trim and interior panels back from paint. I was wondering what some of you suggest or have done in regards to sound deadening.

I was at first just going to go with the standard underlayment kit but I have seen a few resto's with stuff like Dynamat / B-Quiet / PeelnSeal. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is it worth it?

• Sponsors (?)

I'll second the SecondSkin audio idea.

I used SecondSkin's deAmplifier Pro on my car - put 2 layers of it from the firewall thru the backseat - and it is working well.

I just finished installing rammat from Ram Audio and the difference is very dramatic. The product is a 2 stage process where stage 1 is a foil faced peel & stick rubber butyl product. I put 1 layer from firewall back and inside the rear wheel wells and qtr panels. I doubled up in a few key areas like the larger sections of the floor boards and under the rear seat, just above my Flowmasters. Stage 2 is applying a closed cell foam using spray on adhesive. The rug goes on top of this. I previously used the asphalt underlayment with poor results. Not even worth the weight it adds to the car imo. I drove the car about 10 miles last night and as I had hoped, all the annoying squeaks and rattles are gone. Driving over bumps no longer results in rattle trap noises. Makes the ride so much more enjoyable.
Posted via Mobile Device

There are a lot of qood quality sound deandeners out there to choose from. If you stay away from the brand names like dynamat you can get a pretty good deal. I used two layers of .50 mil that i found on ebay. i got two rolls of 100sq ft for around 100 bucks each. it was just enough to do two complete layers. like i said, it was a generic brand but it was very strong made of butyl rubber with the aluminum layer on top. i was really happy with the quality because as i used the roller to shape it into all of the contours around the floor pans, the aluminum held up without tearing. the adhesive was also very strong. After i put two layers down, i added a carpet pad which i cut to fit and spray glued in before putting in the new carpet. A lot of work, but definitely worth it in the end.