Fox Sound from shifter while coasting?

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
Can anyone help diagnose a possible issue? Once again I have a 93 notch. Whenever I am in gear, any gear but mostly 3rd, 4th, and 5th, and I accelerate and then take my foot of the gas there is a whining noise coming from the shifter. It only happens during deceleration while the engine is lugging. A high pitched whine. I tried to take a video but the exhaust is too loud lol. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Could be shifter amplification...but i'd definitely check fluid level and top off if low.

Low fl;uid starves the bearings in the mainshaft, especially the roller bearings between the input shaft and mainshaft. That's when you get the famous "whine in all gears except 4th" sound.

Can anyone help diagnose a possible issue? Once again I have a 93 notch. Whenever I am in gear, any gear but mostly 3rd, 4th, and 5th, and I accelerate and then take my foot of the gas there is a whining noise coming from the shifter. It only happens during deceleration while the engine is lugging. A high pitched whine. I tried to take a video but the exhaust is too loud lol. Any ideas?
Seems like lots of people don't drive a stick these days, no offense intended, you don't rest your hand on the shifter while driving, do you? causes constant wear on the synchros and will start a whining noise pretty quick. Just info you from a guy who remembers the cars debut...

When my t-5 has a noise and vibration coming up through the short throw shifter, it was the tailshaft bearing and at least one stuck u joint. The mechanic made a tool to pull the bushing type bearing without taking the transmission apart, and the cost of a new slip one and joints helped justify the cost of a new Form aluminum driveshaft. With the poly trans mount, I still get some vibration, but nothing like before.It might not be your problem, but it would not hurt to check.