Sound system questions

pcarlson

Aug 16, 2006
Sorry about the back-to-back posts, haha. I just realized that I forgot to ask about the sound system.

I plan on installing a decent sound-system in my car and was wondering if you guys could let me know what has worked well. My plan was to put 2 speakers in the deck by the rear window and 2 speakers in the kick panels to go along with a single 10 inch sub in the trunk. Is there room for any other speakers in the car? I thought there might be room in the center of the dash pad, but can't remember.

What speakers work best in the deck by the rear window? It seems that 2 6x9's would work well.

What about in the kick panels... have any of you found a good size speaker?

Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hey watsup, i'm in a similar position, I found that 2 6x9s in the package tray are plenty when they're ran off a decent amp. for your kick panels you have to see what size your kick panels are, if you're custom making em then I heard its best to get a component speaker set up. usually they come in 6 1/2s. Pioneer has some great speakers. but rainbow audio has some crazy component speakers i've heard

There is room for another speaker in the middle of the dash but it is quite tough to get to for installing, i'm not sure mine was previously installed and put in with zip ties but i'm pretty sure u need to take out the windshield for that. Plus it doesn't really make that much of a difference. I don't have kick panel speakers but i'm pretty sure that will be more than enough.

As for subs, I suggest Digital Design's subs, they are cheap and really really good from what i've heard. a 12" is a compromise between 10's too little bass and a 15's extremely heavy bass. That's just my conclusions from my research.

all i can say, don't use Infinity's in the rear deck...they don't like direct heat....had a set die on me a few years ago....they just shattered from the heat exposure over time....kidna weird when all of the bass suddenly goes out, LOL

I installed 6 x 9's on the package shelf and got some kick panels that accommodate 6 1/2 speakers. NPD sells a radio bezel that will fit a modern head unit so you are not limited to the Custom Autosound stuff.

I have a 68 with deluxe door grills that I have 4 x 6 speakers in. Speakers in the kick panels 6.5" and some 4" speakers mounted on the side of the center console I made. In addition I made a sub box for the trunk that has 2 10" subs. I mounted two Kenwood amps upright on the sides of the trunk. I chose an Alpine head unit 9883, eclipse speakers and MTX subs. I have everything mocked up and the car is at the body shop so I won't be able to assemble it for a while. Oh yea, my car is a convertible so it made it even more difficult than a coupe since I don't have a package tray. I had a 66 back in the day and used 6 x 9's with 4" kick panel speakers and it worked great.

How did everyone mount the 6x9s in the package tray? They don't seem to fit in the factory cutouts.

On our 6x9s we mounted them to some MDF board and then mounted the MDF with screws and nuts to the package shelf metal (on bottom side) We took the standard package tray and cut out openings, but then covered the cardbord with tweed material (black). some materials will fade in the sum, however if you pick up some automotive upholstery tweed, it tends not to fac. Ous has been in the car for ~ 6 years and has not faded and the car was parked in the sun a lot. The MDF is a good mataerial to use as it won't transmit vibration. It is also the material subwolfer inclosures are made of. By covering the package tray the way we did, the speakers don not show

you can put 2 3.5" speakers in the dash.You might have to make a "plate" out of some 1/4" board and theres no need to pull the glass out to install them.Just make sure you add some capacitors to block the low frequencies becasue they are just going add fullness and not be too loud.

you can put 2 3.5" speakers in the dash.You might have to make a "plate" out of some 1/4" board and theres no need to pull the glass out to install them.Just make sure you add some capacitors to block the low frequencies becasue they are just going add fullness and not be too loud.

I installed a couple 3.5 speakers in my 73's dash in the center and got a couple of those small sealed tweeters to stick in the far corners on top of the dash. I put filters on them to block the bass.

In general, A round speaker will distort less than an oblonged speaker. It really depends on what you are looking for. Most serious audio guys don't have any speakers in the rear. They use tweeters or horns up front, a 6 or 6.5 in the door/kicker and a sub in the back. As for subs... depending on budget... I suggest the JL 10w7. It is an awesome sub and puts out some really good sound. 6x9 has some really good midrange if that is what you are looking for.
Kevin

How did everyone mount the 6x9s in the package tray? They don't seem to fit in the factory cutouts.
i ordered a package try that was wrapped in vynil that matched my interior. it came with 2 speaker holes for 6 x 9's. the tray looks sharp matching the interior.
the tray was like 50$ well worth it. i think virgina mustang sells them.