Southside ( SSM ) K-member any good?

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
What do you think of the SSM K-member? SSM is a good name and I found it on Jegs for $200, but last time I looked it was almost $300. I plan on getting a front coil over conversion and A arms, and even if I don't do it right away, at least I will have it. Should I go for it or am I better off with another brand?

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=195957&prmenbr=361

It looks to have the motor mounts and spring mounts, could I just bolt it in?

• Sponsors (?)

I use to really like the SSM K-member since it has the removable center section, makes getting the oil pan off really nice. It is supposed to be a bolt on and go item, when it first came out it was near $700.

I guess JEGS is liquidating the SSM stuff since from what I have read that relationship is OVER. I say the owner of SSM post on another board about how JEGS stole the lift bar design and sells them cheaper and hasn't paid SSM for the parts they have over $50,000 if I remember correctly. SSM did not go out of business and you can still order the lift bars, they should be up and running normal business as soon as they can.

I'd like to know also...200 bucks is hella cheap for a tubular K member. I'd just be concerned about strength since my car is mainly a street driven car...so it's gotta handle speed bumps and pot holes and the occasional animal that may scurry in front of me...lol

Rick 91GT said:
I have never seen any complaints, and $200 is a good deal for a aftermarket K-member, does it come with the A-arms?

I don't think it does, but SSM is a good name. I don't think they would put thier name into something bad. It looks as though you can run standard springs up front, so I suppose that factory A arms would work as well. I bet it is steel, instead of alumimum or chromoly like some other brands. So it might be a little heavier than alumimum but stronger than alumimum, but not as expensive as chromoly. It says 38% lighter than stock. I am really considering buying one, I mean why not, it's got to be better than that stock clusterf***. I wouldn't hold the price against it, big $ doesn't mean big value. At least I would be able to get to parts under the engine. It would look alot better if I get the wheels off the ground.

I don't think I would trust it with the center section being removable. I know southside has been making strong liftbars for years now (I used to have a set on my 88 GT) but I dont like the idea of the center being bolted in for strength issues.