Spanked a GTP tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRASH7772

Apr 27, 2003
NH
Just for starters I don't promote street racing. I thought those were supposed to be fast. We did a stop light quickie (I was behind him and again there was no others around) he slowly took off then matted it, I was all over him. Then it went on the highway further down the raod from 50 to whatever speedo stops at 85. Anyways we hit the on ramp and I was in 3rd, he was hard on it and I had to lift a little. Hit the 3 lane highway (no other cars were around) matted it and pulled out and was already by him before I hit forth. Got off it after hitting 4th. I was really expecting more out of that car but after reading specs of mid 15 1/4 times I guess not. Kinda excited and can't wait to get my TKO (3rd gear synch in T-5 is on it's way out) in this weekend so I can take it down to the drag strip (which is where I usually run). Hoping to get some high 13's.

• Sponsors (?)

That's what I thought but after I got home I read the specs on the GTP Grand Prix and was quoted as 260hp s/c and 15.47 1/4. I was kinda happy regaurdless, I knew they have a rep of being fast but passed him easily.

Dont laugh, the GMs 3.8 is a MUCH better motor then Fords...

Name me one Ford product with the 3.8 that has done anything as far as performance goes, and I will name you 3 GM products that can do it! I think the 3.8 Supercoupes were the only ones that even had any performance, whereas GM has had the TTA, GN, GTP, and even the V6 Fbodies.

25thmustang said:
Dont laugh, the GMs 3.8 is a MUCH better motor then Fords...

Name me one Ford product with the 3.8 that has done anything as far as performance goes, and I will name you 3 GM products that can do it! I think the 3.8 Supercoupes were the only ones that even had any performance, whereas GM has had the TTA, GN, GTP, and even the V6 Fbodies.

Why waste your time with small engines anyways. Ford never really tried to make the 3.8 a high performance vehicle (the SC mentioned above). It's like taking a Civic now. Sure you can get them to go but how quick will it go and for how long. Look at what some of the V6 mustang guys are getting. I've heard of 400 hp to the ground in a few. It can be done but why??? GM likes to make a car that seems bad ass and stops making it before the competion comes out with something better. I bet the GTO will be gone in 3-4 years tops.

Sure the TTA, GTP, and GN/GNX's had some badass motors in them. BUT they all needed forced induction to get goin. Sure ford could've put a blower on the 3.8L like they did on the supercoupe and put it in more cars.....but why bother when you have the 5.0 and other V8s :shrug:

I could see if Gms 3.8 was awesome and their V8s sucked, but their V8s were better in comparison to Fords over the years. After 1993 Ford couldnt touch the LT1 and LS1s, and even with the 03 Cobra like stated above, Needed to be Supercharged (now I dont agree with the fact it needed to be, but see how it sounds when someone else says it about Ford, stupid right). I hate when someone says they needed Forced induction, no they didnt. They use it because it is an easy way to keep the motor the same, add a lot of power, and keep the warranty! GM or Ford, V8 or V6 you cant tell me they NEED forced induction to go fast.

Also I have seen 600 hp naturally aspired 3.8s. If you have heard of Kenny Dutweiller you would know what I mean!

Not going against Ford, just sticking up for GM, when its clear, GMs smaller motor, makes more power!

25thmustang said:
I could see if Gms 3.8 was awesome and their V8s sucked, but their V8s were better in comparison to Fords over the years. After 1993 Ford couldnt touch the LT1 and LS1s, and even with the 03 Cobra like stated above, Needed to be Supercharged (now I dont agree with the fact it needed to be, but see how it sounds when someone else says it about Ford, stupid right). I hate when someone says they needed Forced induction, no they didnt. They use it because it is an easy way to keep the motor the same, add a lot of power, and keep the warranty! GM or Ford, V8 or V6 you cant tell me they NEED forced induction to go fast.

Also I have seen 600 hp naturally aspired 3.8s. If you have heard of Kenny Dutweiller you would know what I mean!

Not going against Ford, just sticking up for GM, when its clear, GMs smaller motor, makes more power!

I understand where your coming from but in that era the 302 was spanking the Z28 with the 350's. If they had the same blower on the 3.8 Ford and Chevy would one have that much more over the other? And although the 00 N/A Cobra was way overpriced it did fine againts the Vette which is in the same price range. I'm just not a fan of forced inducton and really not a fan of GM. The T-Bird SC was more of a sport cruiser, like a euro style car made for crusing not quickness IMO. When my car was stock with the exception of a Dyno-Max 2 1/4" cat-back I was running the same 1/4 times as the mid 90's Slomaro's at Epping. I just don't think Chevy really has much compared to the Stang. After all can you buy a 05 Camaro or Firebird and even if you could it would be alot more than a Stang. They have the GTO which from the times I have seen aren't really impressive for the HP rating. Mustang's always seem to run better times vs HP rating. I know the Camaro's are supposed to be heavier but almost 50 cubes should make up for it. Best way I can put it is bang for buck but you have to admit if they had something back then why not stick with it? I guess I'm just all about N/A....But credit should be given where it is due.......

Im all for NA too, but I respect a car and company with a power adder. I look at the GTPs as the new SCs, where Ford basically dropped out of that market (minus the SHOs which didnt use Ford motors). As for the 5.0s killing the 350s, this is up for grabs. From what I have seen the L98 cars and 5.0s were right on par. Even the LB9 (305 TPI) 5-speed cars could run with the 5.0 Mustangs! From the GM side the L98s outran Mustangs and the Mustang guys think they were faster. In my eyes it was all right dead even!

Good kill!! My 1st run ever down the track was against an 04 GTP, he ran a 15.4 90.?? to my crappy 15.0 @ 93.75. Thing is he jumped way out in front, thanks to my inexperience and crappy 2.73s. I was playing catch up the whole race, he was about 3 car lengths ahead of me at the 1/8 mile mark, but i really started to pull on him after that!! All my power is up high and ouch those 2.73s are hurtin, its killing my ET's. But anyways ive heard a lot about these cars as well, being pretty quick grocery getters. I was just pleased that i was able to pass him that easy when he had such a big lead! Again nice kill. Just wait til your SUPERCHARGED!!

CManT1914 said:
All LS-1's are N/A from the factory. They put down around 325 stock, at the flywheel or course. I like em too. The Firebirds that is. Camaros :notnice:

But what I don't get is the let's say 96-97 Camaro and Firebird (which I have the Car and Driver shootout with the Cobra in there as well) ran something like 13.9 (camaro) and 14.1 (firebird) and which are both "CHEVY RATED" 300+ HP. I will get the exact specs tomorrow, it's at work. My 87 GT which dynoed 225rwhp can run a best 14.0-14.1 with 2.73's. I can only be pushing 260 FWHP max!!!!!!!!!! Which I doubt of course.

CRASH7772 said:
But what I don't get is the let's say 96-97 Camaro and Firebird (which I have the Car and Driver shootout with the Cobra in there as well) ran something like 13.9 (camaro) and 14.1 (firebird) and which are both "CHEVY RATED" 300+ HP. I will get the exact specs tomorrow, it's at work. My 87 GT which dynoed 225rwhp can run a best 14.0-14.1 with 2.73's. I can only be pushing 260 FWHP max!!!!!!!!!! Which I doubt of course.

I think those are LT1 motors, which are only rated at 275 or 285 FWHP. Plus, they are a LOT heavier than your 87, and those magazines sometimes don't do cars justice. Aren't the LS1's from 98 and up?

Status
Not open for further replies.