Spark plug wire keep jumping off

BlakieMoeStang

Mar 10, 2012
Fairfield
Hello mustang family I bought a 1998 mustang gt and it ran like a beast when I first got it .the engine was a little dusty so I wanted to degrease the engine big mistake it runs rough and misfire I pop the hood and two of the spark plug wires had jump off so I put them back on and it ran fine but when I drove the car one of the spark plug wires had pop back off so I took the spark wire completely off and seen water in the coil pack .The water was only in the one were the spark plug wire keep popping off I got the water out and put a new spark wire on but it still pops up a little when I drive the car any help please

• Sponsors (?)

How's the condition of your motor mounts?

How about the routing of the spark plug wires? Did you follow the factory routing using the factory stand offs and looms? Touching any metal parts? Looped over anything that puts pressure on the wire?

Now this is something I have never seen before. Are the plugs wires "jumping" off the plugs or the coil packs? Was it doing it before you washed the motor? Maybe water got down in the plug holes causing some kind of odd electrical surge? I know that if they are coming off the coil pack cheap wires sometimes wont go over the coil pack terminal well and will slip off, causing a miss-fire. I had a set once I had to really work with one particular wire to get it to click on the pack like it should, and they were Motorcraft...