spark plug wires, what are we using these days?

There are reasons for the different part numbers from MSD. Each part number you were looking at comes with a different spark plug boot end as they come in 90*, 120*, 180*, and Multi-angle. You buy them based on your needs, since many like the 90* to gain additional room for headers especially on GT40P heads. For a stock stock/look spark plug boots are 120*, so when you are looking for wires look at the ends they come with.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

i suck at decision making, going to have to think about this boot angle stuff and maybe see what clearance i have. at the moment i like the angle on the motorsport wires, i originally called them 45 degrees, but really i should have said 135, but now im guessing they are probably 120. regardless, im interested in seeing how 90 and 180 degree boots would work. The 180 degrees are probably a bad idea though it seems based on how the plugs are oriented.
i will torture myself tonight looking at all the options.

I typically lean to getting the 90* for a couple reasons of smaller boot footprint, clearance between header tubes stock or aftermarket, and easier to reduce the length of the wire itself due to point straight up.

There is the age old question...If you change your three year old Ford Racing wires would there be a change in performance, or just a cool look. I just got some cheap Moroso plastic separators , and the feel of the Ford wires is just plain. I have given up on MSD for the most part, but they have some cool wires.

There is the age old question...If you change your three year old Ford Racing wires would there be a change in performance, or just a cool look. I just got some cheap Moroso plastic separators , and the feel of the Ford wires is just plain. I have given up on MSD for the most part, but they have some cool wires.
not sure if this is directed at me, but the wires i have are well over 3 years old, and they are cracking and peeling, so i need them replaced it seems. :)

Make sure that whatever set you buy, it includes the short post-to-post wire for the ignition coil. That's a '94/'95 difference from the longer fox body coil wire.
thanks for the tip i already was keeping an eye out for sets that came with the coil wire, but i wasnt aware the lengths could be off. I know my coil wire isnt too long, but i didnt know other years had much longer wires.

I've had every ignition wire there is. The Motorsport and MSD ones arc'd, the Moroso ones cracked, the Taylors fell off the plug. The only wire I have had lockstock reliability with is the Accel 8.8s. Same with ignition caps and rotors. The Accel cap isn't what it used to be. Back in the day it was machined after it was pressed together, and they don't do that anymore. It's a thicker plastic though.

Kurt

• Surprised
Something the parts guy at Auto Zone recommended. I was like hey are the Accell all they're cracked up to be. He was like, well, they're good wires, but, these over here are just as good, maybe better, and won't cost as much. I know you work at W*** TV so your money is tight.

I've had every ignition wire there is. The Motorsport and MSD ones arc'd, the Moroso ones cracked, the Taylors fell off the plug. The only wire I have had lockstock reliability with is the Accel 8.8s. Same with ignition caps and rotors. The Accel cap isn't what it used to be. Back in the day it was machined after it was pressed together, and they don't do that anymore. It's a thicker plastic though.

Kurt
I’ve used ultra 40s on 3 cars already and never had them crack .

I’ve used ultra 40s on 3 cars already and never had them crack .
The Moroso wires I used pre dated the Ultra 40s. So I can't speak directly about that wire. What I am saying is that Accel mastered the spark plug wire design 25 years ago with the 8.8. At the time, Accel was the only brand that actually manufactured the entirety of the wire. There were only 3 companies that actually made spark plug wire itself. So all these other brands were just buying wire from a wholesaler, and slapping a monogrammed boot on it. Just looking at images of the Moroso Ultra 40, I can tell the boot design is no where near as thick as an 8.8, which means it's going to be more susceptible to arcing. Now they might work fine, but I have never had a single problem with the Accel 8.8 wires. I've installed two dozen sets of these in multiple Multiple Mustangs over the last 20 years, and never had a single problem. You can get them same day without shipping costs almost anywhere in the Country at Advance for a lower price than the competition. They come pre cut for a 302, where the Motorsport ones are cut for a 351, which means you have to do creative loom work to redirect the excess. I'm not saying there aren't good wires out there from other manufacturers, but in my experience, these wires work perfect every single time.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
The timing of this post is good as I had the exact question in mind. I've mainly used Ford Racing in the past, but my recent car came with a set of 8mm Taylors. They appear to be cracking and need replaced. This got me thinking - what would be an ideal plug wire that can withstand higher temps that may occur on a turbo car. I keep hearing about the Ultra 40's and most recently the Accel 9000 Ceramic setup. I have no experience with either, but will be trying one of them soon.

go and buy a used set of Blue Streak 8.8 nascar wires with heat shield ... these are the best you can buy .. comes from a Chevy engine and numbers on the cables dont match with Ford but they fit ... they sell the kit ..8 cables...for 30 buck on Ebei ... :coff: hendrick motorsports

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
go and buy a used set of Blue Streak 8.8 nascar wires with heat shield ... these are the best you can buy .. comes from a Chevy engine and numbers on the cables dont match with Ford but they fit ... they sell the kit ..8 cables...for 30 buck on Ebei ... :coff: hendrick motorsports
You just found my next set of wires , thanks.

Match the wires to the coil and the ignition system. I've run Ford Racing wires in every car from stock to 600hp cars with no issues. I may try Livewires at some point in the future
I had Livewires on my MR2. I didn't notice a difference over the stock Toyota ones at 1.5 bars of boost. Livewires are a total gimic in my opinion. There are better ways to spend your money.

Kurt

• Agree
Match the wires to the coil and the ignition system. I've run Ford Racing wires in every car from stock to 600hp cars with no issues. I may try Livewires at some point in the future
So my stock coil and distributor should have motorcraft oe wires ? Lol just busting chops .

I like the live wires also but I haven’t seen them on real high hp stuff at the track . Ultra 40 moroso and firecore is what I see a lot of . Of course msd as well

So my stock coil and distributor should have motorcraft oe wires ? Lol just busting chops .
//
I like the live wires also but I haven’t seen them on real high hp stuff at the track . Ultra 40 moroso and firecore is what I see a lot of . Of course msd as well
lol.. i guess i splained that not legibly.. Manufacturers design their cars including ignition systems and often there is a reason they want a certain resistance wire, etc. Could be to jump the spark gap, could be to protect the sensors, relays, etc. All this hype about low ohm wires never impressed me. Been running FMS wires for years on cars with 500+ hp and not a hitch

Reactions: 1 users