Forced Induction Spark plugs for supercharger

Sparky714

Oct 16, 2015
North Dakota
I have an '89 with 306,Y303 aluminum heads, B303 cam and Vortech V3 at 10psi. I just changed exhaust and have a stutter or misfire under hard acceleration. I felt it once in awhile with the old exhaust, but this setup flows better and it's very noticeable now. Currently running Autolite 104 plugs gaped at .045". I'm sure that's too wide, but should I close the gap to .030" and try that or should I run one step colder plug? And what gap on the colder plug? @a91what , would you be able to see if it's a miss fire if I got you a data log?

• Sponsors (?)

I have an '89 with 306,Y303 aluminum heads, B303 cam and Vortech V3 at 10psi. I just changed exhaust and have a stutter or misfire under hard acceleration. I felt it once in awhile with the old exhaust, but this setup flows better and it's very noticeable now. Currently running Autolite 104 plugs gaped at .045". I'm sure that's too wide, but should I close the gap to .030" and try that or should I run one step colder plug? And what gap on the colder plug? @a91what , would you be able to see if it's a miss fire if I got you a data log?
I can indeed, I can also check and make sure the better flowing exhaust didn't lean you out any.
At 10psi a 104 should be fine a 103 may carbon foul, .45 is far to wide with boost.. close them to .32 and see if this helps.

EDIT: .45 is possible with a hot enough spark a boost-a-spark may make it possible.

I can indeed, I can also check and make sure the better flowing exhaust didn't lean you out any.
At 10psi a 104 should be fine a 103 may carbon foul, .45 is far to wide with boost.. close them to .32 and see if this helps.

EDIT: .45 is possible with a hot enough spark a boost-a-spark may make it possible.

I'll close the gap and try that first. And I'll get a data log. I've got all stock ignition with nearly new Ford racing wires and Screamin' Demon coil.

@a91what . Closing the gap helped with the missfire. Not completely gone though. Got you a log with some hard pulls and my current tune. Thanks for taking a look at it for me! Oh, and I've been watching your motor build.....:nice:.

Attachments

• 2018-06-22_19.16.21.msl
    2 MB · Views: 172
  • 2018-06-22_20.07.48.msq
    120.5 KB · Views: 170
I really like where my build is going this time around, it actually looks like i know what im doing. lol

I reviewed the tune for you and made some small [will look large] changes please get another log to verify the changes are what was needed. some feedback as well. What do the plugs look like? can you get a picture of one of them? i am afraid that your [miss] may have been some slight detonation, we made the ignition curve fairly aggressive and with the warming weather a tank of lower octane gas would/could cause detonation.
I took timing out of it [made it look more like a turbo curve] and if the miss goes away we know it was detonation for sure.

BTW since i did the initial tuning on this car, if there is an issue PM me about it. I would rather be bothered with a question than damage happen to the engine. Have a good Sunday

Attachments

• Sparky Tune Check rev1.0.1.msq
    120.5 KB · Views: 180