Spartan Wide Band install

Flatfoot

5 Year Member
Aug 18, 2017
Milton, Fl
Can somebody check my wiring and make sure I’m not gonna burn something up. Wiring up my wide and putting my PiMPxs in. Read over another thread and decided to use the old O2 sensor and cut the connector off. Using the veryuseful.com wiring schematic I wired the connector I cut off to the spartan wideband controller as follows. Red wire from the controller to the ignition run circuit. The green wire from controller to pin 29 on connector. The white and black wire from the controller I twisted together and connected to the ground on the connector plug. Is this right?

Attachments

• 88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif 1,213×973 pixels.png
    88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif 1,213×973 pixels.png
    227.7 KB · Views: 246
  • Sponsors (?)

No you have tied the sensor ground and heater ground together. Not good. Sensor will not be accurate.

Black Electronics Ground = Ground where interfacing device is grounded
White Heater Ground = Ground to chassis or engine block

Hello mate, I'm interested in knowing how you did your install as I'm going the same route as you, which is using the driver side original O2 sensor bung to install my Spartan.
Do you have pictures on how you installed your wideband and its controller please? My car is an 87 and I will be using a MicroSquirt, which is equivalent to the MegaSquirt 2.
Thanks a lot!

One way would be to use a relay. Where it says ms3 fuel sub in your micro fuel pin. This is a very protective circuit. You can do without the 1 amp fuel on the trigger and possibly the flyback diode but I like safe.

For your power ground on the spartan take it to the power ground at the ms or to the block/chassis.

The sensor ground has to go back to the ms on the sensor ground input for the best accuracy.

There is a product in development by someone on here that would also make this super easy solid state.

WidebandRelay.PNG

Thanks bro! But if I want to do it simple and fast, couldn't I do the same as @Flatfoot? Meaning I use the original O2 bung and splice the Spartan brown wire to the OEM narrowband circuit (driver side for example but don't remember the color, black?).
Since my MS is not yet installed (I still have the A9M in my car), I would like to "simulate" the narrowband signal so the ECU doesn't throw codes...
When I install the MS I won't need the narrow band anyway but I would prefer to use the original harness if possible.

The MicroSquirt has an input wire (pink) for the O2 WB.

Yes you can use the factory harness. Just make sure to separate your sensor ground. I'd have to look at how the factory does it to be sure if it's good to go. Look over a wiring diagram and see if the power and sensor ground are separate. If they are not you can just bolt down the power ground to the motor mount right near the sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my Pimpxs today with the spartan WB. Was wondering how exactly how everyone wired up the WB? Where did you hook into for each wire?

Was hoping someone had a good video install of one or write up with pics. I thought enough people have installed them id just copy how they
did theres with running wires etc.

Last edited:
the pimp has instructions for the spartan WB installation on the usb drive, its in the manual

Thanks for the info i had not even thought of that. I was thinking the USB just had the base tune on it and
tuner studio. Ill be sure to read it over and report back with questions i have which im sure ill have. I struggle
with wiring. I can put just about any part into my car myself but when it comes to wiring i hate it...one of the main
reasons iv stuck with the stock fan/clutch instead of going electric fan.

Planning on buying and installing the DD EFI dash this fall/winter. Should have plenty of questions to ask/post
when i do that. lol

Looking at the wiring for my Spartan WB, the signal and 12v wires are pretty straight forward when hooking to a stock O2 harness but im a bit
confused with the black and white wires. It says to just hook them together but the black goes to pin 46 and it says above in the instructions
to never hook the white(heater ground) to pin 46?

Anyone that used a stock O2 to make a harness that connects to the Sparta WB how did you hook the wires up? Do you solder the wires or can some
kind of butt connector be used?

pin 46 does not connect to the stock O2 sensor wiring, the O2 harness has 12v power/ signal to ecu/ heater ground to chassis.

1595257325574.png

In the instructions they are having you tie the heater and signal grounds together. nothing to worry about it works just fine and the voltage offset can be taken care of in the software.

FWIW I usually cut the wires off of the stock O2 sensor and solder on the spartan 2 wiring, this way the factory harness is untouched

Thank you, thats what i was looking for. So the black and the white wires from the Spartan will be tied together to the stock wire ground on the
stock O2 harness.

Off subject but can the Pimpxs read/use any of the info from the stock VSS? I noticed when doing my jumpers on the pimpxs board there were some
for VSS and was not sure if i needed any of those or could use any?

Yes it can, the stock vss is brought into the pimpxs already. Or I am fairly certain it is, you may need a 1k resistor across the vss lines to cut down on noise. This value may need experimenting with for each application.

I'm going to use a stock O2 harness and do a write up...

That would be great! I think it would clear up alot of questions people have.

I have a hard time reading stuff and comprehending it. But reading a write up and having visual aids goes a long way. I figured with how many people
have bought and used the spartan WB there would have been a youtube video of someone wiring one up with a stock O2 but i found nothing.

I bought the Spartan WB, didn't connect it because the Innovate LC2 started working again. The Spartan came with an unmounted LED, what the heck is that about? Where are you supposed to mount it? The instructions mention a temperature LED to connect across the blue wire & ground. They expect you to connect it across the end of the harness & let the LED dangle? It's not even listed in the Package Contents. I know it is not needed but they did include it for a reason.
This is lame-ass way of doing this & I am very disappointed. Could I make it work? Yes. But I shouldn't have to. I wasn't aware I was buying a 3/4-baked kit.

Found more info on his website. No mention of the LED. His forum has people asking questions about it. It's just a 12V LED

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRMGN2Y7amY

Last edited:
I bought the Spartan WB, didn't connect it because the Innovate LC2 started working again. The Spartan came with an unmounted LED, what the heck is that about? Where are you supposed to mount it? The instructions mention a temperature LED to connect across the blue wire & ground. They expect you to connect it across the end of the harness & let the LED dangle? It's not even listed in the Package Contents. I know it is not needed but they did include it for a reason.
This is lame-ass way of doing this & I am very disappointed. Could I make it work? Yes. But I shouldn't have to. I wasn't aware I was buying a 3/4-baked kit.

Found more info on his website. No mention of the LED. His forum has people asking questions about it. It's just a 12V LED

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRMGN2Y7amY

Led is for troubleshooting, not needed for installation. I have had no issues with these and recommend them openly.