spec stage 1 or king cobra clutch

i was getting my motor done and was planning on running about 330rwh. I was going to leave the stock t5 in for a while until I can afford something better and wanted to know which clutch to go with. I was looking at the spec stage 1 or king cobra. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

King Cobra. I have some guys in my club that have had some bad luck with SPEC. They were hit and miss. The ones that got good ones swear by them, the ones that kept having issues with noise and chatter just swear at them

I'd go with the King Cobra or opt for something else. Spec's just aren't what the used to be I suppose. I have a Stage 2 Spec in my 90 Probe GT and it only has about 25,000 on it and it slips under boost. I know a few people that have had similar problems when installing a Spec in a Mazdaspeed as well. I had two oem cluthces in my 5.0 and they worked great and lasted at least 80,000 miles. I went with a King Cobra this time around for the rebuild.

I got a spec stage 1 and have had really good luck with it :shrug:

Maybe Im just cooler than everyone else though :rolleyes:

King cobra is pretty much a stock factory replacement slightly upgraded, but just barely.

My spec grabs the gears even in full boost at nearly 6 k will no troubles what-so-ever. Just make sure you grab an adjustable quadrant kit too with the new clutch that way you can get the pedal feel you need and release tension on the clutch. The factory cable tends to make aftermarket clutches wear out prematurely.