Special 70 Mach-1 ?

modmach1

Jan 16, 2003
Norway
I looked at a 70 Mach-1 yesterday. I`m most likely buying it. The owner said it was pretty special. The specs was: 302 2V C4, 9" with 4:11.1, It got the rear deck spoiler and rear window louvers and it got AC.

Does anybody know if this is a special setup ? Thanks :nice:

www.moldestuket.com

• Sponsors (?)

My book is at home, but I'm pretty sure that the F in the vin shows that it's not a Mach 1. All the other stuff was probably added on. I'll check my code book and let you know unless someone beats me to it.

Vin: 0F05M103275

'1970
(Don't have my book either - what is body style 05? - I know 1970 the mach got it's own # for the vin - but I can't remember and Ive got a '69)
M = 351 4v (5th digit in vin )

One thing is for sure - the 302 and C-4 are NOT the original drive train for that vehicle. Judging by the year it would have likely been a Cleveland 4v with either an FMX auto tranny or a 3 - 4spd car (look for clutch pedal)

:D

Thanks for all the help guys :nice:
I know a Mustang dued who got alot of books on cracking the codes, and he says: 05 in VIN is Mach1, 02 is Sportsroof

Disagree ? :)
you guys are very helpfull :flag:

No problem - My '69 is an 02 - 1970 was the first year Ford assigned the Mach its own body style # - I just couldn't recall what it was! :lol: From all appearances then it is legit (just not the drivetrain!)

mustang70 said:
My book is at home, but I'm pretty sure that the F in the vin shows that it's not a Mach 1. All the other stuff was probably added on. I'll check my code book and let you know unless someone beats me to it.

Actually the "F" in the VIN (second digit) indicates the car was built in Dearborn, it has nothing to do with whether it is a Mach 1 or not. And yes the "05" designation indicates it is a Mach 1, which did start in the 1970 model year.
Hope this helps!!

71resto said:
Actually the "F" in the VIN (second digit) indicates the car was built in Dearborn, it has nothing to do with whether it is a Mach 1 or not. And yes the "05" designation indicates it is a Mach 1, which did start in the 1970 model year.
Hope this helps!!

This helps !!! :nice: :flag: :) Thanks A lot !!!

65fastback2+2 said:
amazing how much info http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html will tell ya :nice:

Warranty Number: 0F05M103275
Year: 0 1970
Plant: F Dearborn, MI
Body Series: 05 SportsRoof, Mach 1
Engine: M 351 4v V8
Unit: 103275 103275

heres your vin decoded. I KNOW mach1's NEVER came with 302's.

also, mach 1 production started in 1969 not 1970.

Thanks 65fastback2+2 :nice:
I was hoping that the engine was the original. i had plans on doing a matching number resto on this one. Maybe i could push the price down because of this :)
Here`s the engine..
attachment.php

Attachments

• mach1motor.jpg
    mach1motor.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 398
charlies said:
hmmm....one of my brothers had a 72 or 73 mach 1 with a 302, automatic. i am quite sure the engine was original...

They changed that in '71 or '72. After '70, the Mach 1 was nothing more than stickers and scoops. All Mach 1's in '69 and '70 came with the 9" rear end as Ford put them behind the 351 and higher engines and that's the minumum size for the Mach 1 those 2 years. The minumum engine went to 302 after that. Your engine was the 351C-4V like the others said. In '69 the "M" code was the 351W-4V, '70 was 351C-4v.

the 71, 72, 73 mach were available w/ 302

the 70 machs did not come from the factory with 4.11's in any case,
they all did have plastic honeycomb molding on the rear panel, along with pop open gas caps, also a 'aluminum rocker panel molding, unique to the mach 1' in 1970, whatever that is.

it didn't mention anything about rear spoiler or louvers.

they do appear to have all had the wood grained interior, front and rear stabilizer bars, and the seats were knitted vinyl with horizontal pleats (about an inch or two wide) from about the neck line all the way down. the stripe at the neckline, where the horizontal pleats ended was color coded to the interior. oh, and the round electric clock mounted on the passenger side instrument panel.

the 70 machs did not come from the factory with 4.11's in any case,
they all did have plastic honeycomb molding on the rear panel, along with pop open gas caps, also a 'aluminum rocker panel molding, unique to the mach 1' in 1970, whatever that is.

The rocker molding run along the bottom of each side wheel to wheel, sais MACH1 in the front. :D

Factory drag pak option, 3.91 or 4.11 rear gear in 9in N Case.

PB