Specific Intake question

jimbofox

Sep 6, 2008
Manassas, VA
Hi everyone,

I'm new around here but not new at all to the modding world and I just have a question for you.

In the other forums I belong to, the Steeda Intake doesn't seem to be that popular (but no one speaks bad about it either). Was just wondering if anyone has had issues with it or if the much-talked about C&L was THAT much better than the Steeda kit. I see the MAF housing is 5mm larger (95mm) on the C&L Racer kit as opposed to the Steeda kit (90mm). Personally, I like the CF elbow Steeda offers (and they seem to be the only one doing that) as from a scientific perspective, that's definitely a workable heat-sheild to keep the air as cool as possible but that's just my $.02. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

We don't like the steeda intake, we think it sucks, it's just not pretty enough ha ha. (just kidding) A lot of us go with C&L because of the tune package, it's offered from benspeed and bama that alot of us deal with I haven't heard anything bad about steeda persay.

I have the C&L racer intake an tune package from brenspeed. I love it. I haven't ridden in a steeda intake equipt car so I can say anything about that intake. I agree with what Ranger said. Its more of a tuner preference considering all the intakes are so simliarly priced.

All I can say is, you won't be dissapointed with the C&L and tune from Bamachips or Brenspeed.

Ah ok. Well thanks for the reply/feedback everyone. My local speed shop actually specializes in stangs and they recommend the Steeda intake as they have a lot of experience tuning it. Plus I'd be getting them to custom tune the car on their dyno. In all my experience with modding cars, nothing beats an in person dyno tune. At this point I think I wanna rock the Steeda with CF elbow just because no one else is lol :)

Doesn't the C&L come with a 95mm MAF tube? 88mm would be smaller than the Steeda. Wouldn't the bigger MAF with the tune yield more power?

There is both a "Street" and a "Racer" C&L CAI. The Street version is aluminum and has a 88mm tube. The Racer is plastic and has a 95mm tube. That is if I remember correctly.

The street costs more than the race because it is metal. And the bigger MAF tube doesn't nesecarily make more power. With the racer, if your engine does not demand the airflow that a 90MM MAF can produce, the MAF will have a harder time "reading" airflow because there is less of it than it is built for, so to speak, making it harder to tune. And I have heard you can have idle issues from the oversized MAF. On a stock engine, you'd make more overall power with a correctly sized one. Thumper actually tested the two, and picked up a few horsepower with the smaller one.

FOr me, the reason I didn't get steeda, was because it is so expensive. That's why I got JLT, and I'm happy with it.