Speed Density options

Nov 26, 2019
Mississippi
Hi All,
I have a an ‘88 5.0 LX 5speed.
Still sporting the original speed density computer.
Can I install a stroker short block using stock or upgraded heads while using the stock cam and still keep the stock injection and computer? Anyone done this and is it worth the effort?

• Sponsors (?)

If you are going to go that far, just convert it to Mass Air. Maybe another $300-350 in parts, and an hour to wire it in.

Then you can at least install a cam and more radical mods on your car since you are going through all the work/time to stroke the engine and rebuild it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Hi All,
I have a an ‘88 5.0 LX 5speed.
Still sporting the original speed density computer.
Can I install a stroker short block using stock or upgraded heads while using the stock cam and still keep the stock injection and computer? Anyone done this and is it worth the effort?

No

The OEM SD computer is not [as it is] capable of dealing with the extra displacement.

What's more is that compared to what you're spending on the engine build, an aftermarket system that will handle most builds, is relatively inexpensive. That is [if] you can even find anyone with the equipment necessary to modify the OEM SD computer, to compare it to.

Ripping off the bandaid and getting a good system now, opens up a lot of options and will save you money down the road.

DIYauto sells a complete plug into the factory wiring harness Megasquirt for under $1000. It might sound like a lot of money, but finding people who can even tune MAF OBD1 is getting hard. Atlanta has a population of 5.5 million now, and there's like one guy left who does it. The Megasquirt is going to be a lot easier to get tuned.

Kurt

Ripping off the bandaid and getting a good system now, opens up a lot of options and will save you money down the road.

Best advice.

I wish I would’ve just went with a ms based system first instead of trying to dick around with a stock eec tuning system.

Buy a megasquirt now and never look back. It’s stupid cheap for what’s included, and you don’t have to convert over to MAF

Also, the stock cam and heads aren’t adequate for even the stock displacement. It would be silly to install them on a stroker engine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Jeff over at Moe's in Dallas, GA does a good job with it. This is a big city though, I imagine there are places where you would have to drive a long way to get a decent OBD1 tune.

Kurt

At least there's still a source out there. I've filed that post away for future reference.

If you guys have not seen/used this feature before:

1576806343985.png

To recall them:
1576806475154.png

At least there's still a source out there. I've filed that post away for future reference.

If you guys have not seen/used this feature before:

1576806343985.png

To recall them:
1576806475154.png

Yes, I was honestly surprised. A friend gave me the reference. Georgia is kind of a black hole for anything. Not many people really want to learn anything or put a hard day's work in around here. They kind of doddle, and never seem to be able to commit to a price or a time. Jeff was outstanding. Put the car on the dyno, talked us through it, was super friendly, and really nailed it. I feel for the guy, because he had to take the car out for street testing in the pouring rain. I have been talking about getting my axle work done a little bit on here. I also recently had a really good experience with Attitude Street Cars in Marietta. I am committed to having them build a $3k axle for me. I'll share my experience.

Kurt

Lol...i need an a9l... but I'll just have to wait on that for now.

I put off doing the conversion for years. I even ran my Kenne Bell with SD initially. I bought one off of a dude that was selling on here... [cheap].

There's an advantage to reviewing nearly all classifieds posts. :D I think he had it posted for roughly 30ish minutes.

• Happy