speedo correction

Killnboy

Aug 23, 2003
Since i'm bought 4.10 ford racing gears, how can i recorrect my speedometer? I've hear about getting a new speedo gear, but i've been unable to find one, should i just go and ask at my local nationals? I've heard of computer corrections as well but isn't that expensive to?
thanks James

• Sponsors (?)

Dallas Mustang sells the SpeedCal's and they are about $100. I have heard great things about them and they will be dead on, unlike a speedo gear, which will be slightly off. Plus if you change tire sizes or gears in the future you can recalibrate it. I got my speedo gear from cjponyparts.com for about $17. I have 3.73's and it is about 3-5 miles off at highway speeds.

you can also change the speedo drive gear inside the extension housing on the car, that gear is only 10$, and it will be dead on!!!!!!!!

I changed mine to a 6 tooth drive gear, left the factory driven gear which is black as well. Now my speedo is dead on, we have radar signs on our roads around here that tell you how fast you are going and at even 70 MPH it is dead on

jason

like mytight95 says, you can change the drive gear in the tranny. actually i think you have to get the 4.10s to work with changing the gears only. doing this, you able to get them dead on. this would be cheaper but you would have to take the trans down and take the housing apart.

the speedcal would be a heck of a lot easier but takes more green.

you can change the gear in the tailhousing, without taking the whole tranny out. you just havet o remove the shifter, and punch the roll pin through the bottom to get the shifter block off the shift forks rod, then you can unbolt the tailhousing and pull it off, then all you have to do is unclip the drive gear and slide the new one on oh yeah did i mention you have to remove the DS, the tranny mount and the crossmember

lol not that easy but better than pulling the tranny

jason

p.s. sounds complicated but its only about an hours work start to finish

if you are only taking off the extension housing, then why do you need to take the crossmember off? I thought the crossmember bolts closer to the front of the transmission. More info please!!! Thanks!
Scott

the tranny mount bolts to the extension housing and then in turn the mount bolts to the crossmember. the tranny bolts to the bell and the bell to the engine "thats the basics"

i would take a pic of my old one but its all kinds of broken

jason