Speedo Needle

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
Someone added white faces on the inst cluster before I got the car. The speedometer needle is not at 0 when the car is not moving. How do I fix this? The tach is the same way but not as bad.

IMG_1182.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

The needle is just pressed on. Take the bezel off, and remove the clear cover on the instrument cluster. Pull the needle off. It's not pressed on hard, you can do it with you fingers. Turn the key to the on position, and press the needle back on in the 0mph position.

Kurt

Reactions: 2 users
Don't reset the needle pointing at 0. See that tick mark on the guage face below 0MPH. Pull the needle stop out, reset the needle so it points at the tick mark, then lift it up and reinstall the needle stop pin.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't reset the needle pointing at 0. See that tick mark on the guage face below 0MPH. Pull the needle stop out, reset the needle so it points at the tick mark, then lift it up and reinstall the needle stop pin.

I see. This way the needle rests against the stop with a small amount of pressure. Is that a correct assumption?

The speedometer scale in my '94 GT has no ZERO mark; it begins at 10 (mph), with the needle at rest there. Thus, any speed between zero and ten is guesswork. imp

Can't remember whether those are 168, or 194 bulbs. Either way, the parts stores sell 10 packs for commercial accounts for like $3. See if you can score one, and just go ahead and change them all.

Kurt

Last time I was at my local pic n pull I was swarming over a 93 4 banger convertible. The inst cluster had been removed and I found it in the trunk. I snagged all the bulbs from it. I also snagged the drivers side inner fender skirt and the auto trans shifter bezel. Got everything for $15

Reactions: 1 users
I'm trying to reset the needles now. Got the bezel off and tried to pull the speedo and tach needles off. They're not coming off. I can even feel the shaft lifting up but they still wont pop off. Should they just come off easily? I wonder if the person who put these white faces on glued the needles on. I hope the heck not but I wouldn't be surprised considering all the other messed up stuff on this poor car! Do I just pull harder and harder? I'm worried I'll break something and wind up needing to replace the entire cluster.

Does the shaft come out too? I got the tach off but the shaft came with it. On the speedo, the counter weight came unglued from needle but the needle wont budge off, with or without the shaft

I tried prying up with a fork. The fork tines bent and the needle won't come off. No way should it take this much force to get it off. Something must be wrong. I think whoever put these white faces on here glued the needles back on. I might be shopping for a replacement cluster. Damn!