Speedo question

Andrews24

Mar 13, 2021
Sylvania, OH
Done a bunch of research... have the crazy massive bouncing speedo... just bought the cable (old one has multiple burns), sensor (doesn’t spin free by hand nor does the cable without the sensor - spun each and watched the gauge seemingly do the same thing), and another red 3.73 speedo tooth gear just to rule it all out - old one looks fine. (Bought thru LMR)

Question is, do I need to buy Graphite lube? If so, where? Any other ideas/advice? Thank you

Adam

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Lube the new cable before installation. If it does not have the packet off green goo, a good soak with “liquid graphite” is good.
Also do not bend the end of the cable when getting it installed. That will cause a PITA speedometer bounce or palsey.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
The packet of green stuff used to come in the box.
This looks good. The “liquid gaphite” we had around the stealership was in a spray can, and was not the dry lube that pops up first in an internet search.
American Grease Stick LE-4 "Lock-ease" Graphited Lock Fluid 3.4 Oz. Amazon product ASIN B000GKW2NMView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GKW2NM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XM211CMC17FNPSBFVP0W

And I’ve not yet tried this, but it is purpose made for cables and chains.
Lubriplate Chain & Cable Fluid, L0135-063, Petroleum-Based Oil, CTN 12/12 Oz Spray Amazon product ASIN B00NA4TJSCView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NA4TJSC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XBP615A6ZD4T7C7N4M97

Update... hooked a new cable up and spun it by drill and it was the same as the old cable. So I have the cluster torn apart... where in this pic should I be cleaning/looking for the problem?... and what is my course of action?
I spin it by hand (I know it isn’t a uniform spin but nonetheless) and it is erratic like with the cable...
Thanks guys

Attachments

• 20210330_211528.jpg
    20210330_211528.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 58
Ok... I just took two videos with it on my drill - gimme a minute to upload...

BUT... I THINK I fixed it?!?!?! I’ll let you be the judge. It’s NEVER worked right

EDIT:it’s not letting me upload videos... but it bounces about 20 mph (10-30) until the drill spins it over about 25 mph then it’s pretty darn steady. I’d even say the faster I spun it (say 80 vs 50) it’s damn near no wiggle... I think it’s as good as I’ll get it? If it does this IN the car, I’ll be ECSTATIC lol... it’s NEVER worked even close in my ownership (since 2005) :O_o:

Last edited:
You've got to upload to YouTube first. Then click share and copy to clipboard. Then paste here.

Mine bounces a little below 20mph too.

How did you fix it?

Most of them bounce under 20MPH. My first 140MPH speedo did this even with 3 new cables. I swapped to a 160MPH speedo head that had low miles on it, and using a drill it's steady even at 5MPH. No bounce. My 140MPH speedo on the bench with a spare cable will bounce like it did in the car, which is why I believe that the issue isn't always a cable, but can sometimes be the speedo itself.

Yeah it’s 100% the head. I’ve gathered info from you and Jrichker with his Speedo breakdown step by step - and going part by part, it would 100% have to be in the cluster (head). You have 3 cables, I’ve tried one, others have tried the cable... all else there is is the sensor, and 2 tooth gears... we’ve ‘bench’ tested without the sensor and gears and duplicated the results of in-car leaving it to be in the speedo cluster - absolutely agree with you.

As for me, I lightly got brake cleaner onto that disc that spins as well as the 2 ‘arms’ that spin around the disc - there was some ‘build up’ of like old metal(?) mixed with an old lubricant(?) - and got some brake cleaner inside the backside of that disc. I made sure it dripped away from the speedo.

Last edited:
I cleaned the head with brake fluid and used some all purpose oil on mine and it’s been pretty smooth and quiet for almost a year now. I battled that for quite some time. Drove me nuts.