• Sponsors (?)

It's more than just the sensor; the newer sensor uses a specific wheel on the output shaft instead of that gear. So the tail of the transmission would need to come apart to swap all that stuff. I'd imagine there's an easier solution.

could I maybe put a newer 99-01 sensor in my pcm is a 2002 btw would that make it work?
Just wondering. Did you read all the information provided in the T45 tail shaft swap thread?

T-45 Tail Shaft Swap

There is also a possibility that an extended range SpeedCal can change the signal to one that a 1999+ PCM can understand. A normal SpeedCal changes a new style to an older VSS style.

Last edited:
Just wondering. Did you read all the information provided in the T45 tail shaft swap thread?

T-45 Tail Shaft Swap

There is also a possibility that an extended range SpeedCal can change the signal to one that a 1999+ PCM can understand. A normal SpeedCal changes a new style to an older VSS style.

Yes I did I was looking for an easier route that didn’t have me changing the tail shaft however that seems like the way I need to go because the speed cals are no longer available. I don’t know where I will find a tail shaft

I had the same issue in my 99 gt manual. The speed sensor for mine was on the driver side underneath the car right where the driver seat would be. The magnetic diode gets weak over time. Usually you notice the speed needle bouncing from max speed to zero or intermittently working before it fails. 5 dollar part and it fixed mine.

I don’t know where I will find a tail shaft
Try searching car-part.com looking for a manual transmission from a 1999-2001 model year Mustang GT. This will give you an idea of what a whole T45 from a salvage yard unit might cost.

Another option is to get a whole transmission from a 2002+ model year manual transmission Mustang GT which will be a Tremec TR-3650

Yet another option is to reach out to a professional rebuilder. Here's some examples.

Trans Gear Performance, Inc

Last edited:
I had the same issue in my 99 gt manual. The speed sensor for mine was on the driver side underneath the car right where the driver seat would be. The magnetic diode gets weak over time. Usually you notice the speed needle bouncing from max speed to zero or intermittently working before it fails. 5 dollar part and it fixed mine.
I have the totally wrong sensor a vss so the whole tail shaft most likely will need to be changed

Reactions: 1 user
Try searching car-part.com looking for a manual transmission from a 1999-2001 model year Mustang GT. This will give you an idea of what a whole T45 from a salvage yard unit might cost.

Another option is to get a whole transmission from a 2002+ model year manual transmission Mustang GT which will be a Tremec TR-3650

Yet another option is to reach out to a professional rebuilder. Here's some examples.

Will do that right now

Also I can do the tail shaft swap right?