Speedometer Issue: Scanner Reads The Speed But Speedometer Doesnt Show It.

98Mustang2017

May 3, 2017
ct
Finally had the chance to hook up a $40 code scanner to the car which shows how fast the car is going.
My main issue has been the speedometer not showing a reading. I cant find the solution on Google.

I know the 95 mustang v6 doesnt use a mechanical speedometer cable. It uses an electric one that connects to the VehicleSpeedSensor at the tailshaft of the transmission.
Yes, everything else on the dash works. Besides the odometer and Trip.

All of the gears inside of the cluster are in good shape.

• Sponsors (?)

Answered Post #7.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...r-remove-something-to-limit-rpm-speed.900992/

Bottom line is the odds favor that the VSS is working but likely has the wrong size gear for the rear end ratio. Hence the reason why the PCM "thinks" the car's speed is higher than it actually is.

Since neither the speedometer or odometer works this could be a wiring problem to the cluster or a problem in the cluster itself. More tests will be needed.

Note, expect for the speedometer to be incorrect when repaired as it will display the same speed as what is in the PCM.

Don't be surprise if unable to find the correct VSS gear for your ultra low rear end ratio. Or perhaps the VSS gear will have a short service life due to poor gear tooth mesh.

Recommend doing some research on SpeedCal.

Just soldered the speedometer part of the cluster and it in fact DID have some cracks in the solder.
It didnt look like cracks per se but i put some solder over it and IT WORKS NOW!
*thumbs up*

Reactions: 1 user
So. What does the speedometer say the car's speed is when the limiter kicks in?

Just wondering. Were the forums helpful in your finding this problem?

I got it up to about 116mph. i could've squeezed the extra 5mph but didn't.

I wonder if the ECU is like raising a kid; teach it the wrong things and it will learn the wrong things and act bad in the wrong conditions.
What im guessing is because i flat out romped a 0-top-speed pull , the ECU(kid) learned those kind of fuel trims(bad habits) and acts up under normal(street) conditions).

But yeah, you have been really helpful on this Mr Burns. Thanks! I dont think i would've ever guessed to solder the electricals.