Speedometer Issues

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
Guys,
I’m having some speedometer issues with my ’65 Coupe. A few months ago I had to remove the instrument binnacle to replace the IVR to fix a fuel gauge issue. I actually could not get the binnacle completely out, my car has been rewired and I did not want to force it. I managed to remove it sufficiently to replace the IVR. In the course of this I had to remove the speedometer cable and reconnect it. Speedometer seemed to work fine after that, the needle did seem to have a very slight tremor, or wobble. Recently the speedometer doesn’t want to ‘fall’, it starts from zero, but as the speed climbs, that speed is maintained on the speedometer, regardless of vehicle speed. In other words you’re cruising at 45mph, you slow down to a stop and the speedometer still shows around 45 mph. More recently the speedometer has been climbing beyond the speed that the vehicle is driven; currently it’s maxed out at around 100 mph when the car is at rest.
I believe that the speedometer is only a mechanical device, so it’s not likely to be related to the IVR swap directly; however, maybe I’ve inadvertently disturbed something else. I want to start trouble shooting this and I’m looking for some ideas.
My current plan of attack is:
1. Check the speedometer to transmission connection
2. Check the condition of the speedometer cable
3. Try and remove the instrument binnacle, inspect the connection, if possible
4. If all looks good, disconnect / reconnect the speedometer connection at the binnacle, try that
5. If that doesn’t work, remove the binnacle, replace the speedometer
I would appreciate any thoughts or guidance. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

It probaly is in the speedo, but it wouldnt hurt to check those items you listed first (at least it's free). You may have a poor engagement of the speedo cable at the transmission driven gear. I had a cable get a small fray that made it act really funny.