Spend my $8000 - Quest for 600 HP Build Up

eljwray

Nov 23, 2004
I just purchased a 2000 gt with 144,000 miles on it. Whats the most direct and cost effective way to 600 hp on an $8000 budget? I also want to include suspension, brakes, lighting, body panels and driveline components as well... Please provide me a list of mods by cutting and pasting what I have below then replying with item, cost and where to buy, thanks! (can be used items from known sellers on here, too)

1. Motor:
  2. Induction:
  3. Transmission/Clutch:
  4. Short Shifter:
  5. Driveline:
  6. Exhaust:
  7. Brakes:
  8. Headlights:
  9. Tail Lights:
  10. Suspension:
  11. Hood:
View attachment 160044

• Sponsors (?)

8K for 600hp? I sure hope you are going to be doing all the work yourself because you will spend 8k in just labor if you have a shop do it. You forgot one important factor in your list. FUEL MODS! Most achieve the 600 mark with Tickflow heads and cams, built bottom and boost of choice. Centri, Positive displacement or Turbo. I would recommend checking craigslist for 03-04 Cobra parts if you have a small budget.

1. Motor: MMR 600 or 03-04 C block.
  2. Induction: Vortech V1 is probably the cheapest route.
  3. Transmission/Clutch: T56 and clutch out of a used 03-04 Cobra.
  4. Short Shifter: Triax.
  5. Driveline:
  6. Exhaust: Mac full exhaust (longtubes).
  7. Brakes: Cobra brake upgrade up front.
  8. Headlights: ?????
  9. Tail Lights:?????
  10. Suspension: Tokico shocks/struts, H&R ss Springs, MM upper/lower control arms.
  11. Hood: Unless you run a big Keene bell blower keep the stock hood.
  12. Don't forget some good tires. Some nice 10.5 wheels with some sticky Nitto 555r will do the trick.

$8k is a good amount of money, however, that is not going to get you 600rwhp reliabily. Can we get you there on your budget....probably. But will that buy all the other stuff you want to do....NO.

My sugguestion, start at #3 and go from there. When you are done, see what you still have in your pocket. If you end up with a $3500......buy a Tork Tech kit. That will get you to 400 rwhp easily. Then worry about the other stuff as money allows.

Just one last thing....#9 is Taillights. If you get Alteezas....forget everything I said.....sell the Mustang and buy a Honda! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Nice I love Supras! The trap speeds tend to vary. It depends on a lot on conditions. We have a few 2v's making 330 to the wheels trapping 115-117mph on this site. Some will trap lower. Don't get me wrong you can def build a 600hp car with the right knowledge and scavenge of parts.

a built engine with supporting fuel would easily 500-600. The limiting factor then would be heads and cams. Get those, and now you are in the 700-800 range. Then you problem would be transmission/clutch. Get those, and they would hold the power. Now the problem is the rear end. Build that, then your problem would be suspension....because you have to put the power to the ground sometime. Then your problem would be with the tires.

Do you see where this is going? Engine power doesnt mean anything if you cant use it. That is why I said, fix your other stuff first, get a little power, then, once you have the supporting mods....you can build it.

I will give you a hint. If you buy everything new, to build a 600+ HP car that can truly handle it.....you are going to spend 3x how much you are saying to help you spend.

Get the on3 turbo, get about 450 rwhp and spend about $3500 for the turbo kit, k-member, fuel system, MAF....all the stuff. Spend another 500 on a good clutch and flywheel (300 for install). Rear suspension to match the front, a short shifter, subframe connectors $2000. Cobra brakes 400. A decent cat-back exhaust.....and call it a day. That will take up most of your $8000 and you have a pretty damn quick car. The only problem is that you are about 150 hp behind your goal.

Reactions: 1 user