Spending $500-$600

AquamanCHS

Sep 17, 2003
N. VA
So I find myself with about $500-$600 to blow on my car because of the holidays, woo.

I have a completely stock '96 vert and I'm barred from doing performance mods :nonono: ... I wanted to do exhaust for the sound but that's a performance mod too, apparently. Of the possibilities I've come up with: shifter, window tint, white face guages, lowering springs. Can anyone suggest anything else? Also, what are some of the leading products of the above categories/where can I find them? Thanks in advance :)

Also.. will a Hurst t-shaped shifter handle fit on like a tri-ax or pro 5.0?

• Sponsors (?)

Yep.. parents.

I'm 16 and this is my first car so my dad doesn't want me adding any more power until I'm more experienced... fair enough, I suppose.. I'll have to do what I can otherwise.

And as far as sneaking stuff in: that'd work if I didn't do work with my dad on the car occasionally. Plus, as far as getting parts I'd have to get them online.. stuff shows up on the credit card bill.

P.S.- I know 16 is young for a stang... however, no amount of disagreement you can post here is gonna change the fact that I drive one. Thanks for not making a big deal out of it like some communities.

tell ur dad gears dont add power to ur car ;) or tell him that exhaust and CAI "add" economy to ur car, and thats what ur after...to try to save gas (read: money) to "mod" ur car when (if) u make it to be 18+... j/k ;)

heres where you have to disguise 'performance' mods as 'safety' or 'money saver' mods. ive been there with the rationalizing mods.

subframes - makes the chassis stronger. great for wrecks, right?
4pt/6pt roll bar- same as above.
sticky tires- better grip on the road, safer driving
lowering springs- lower the cars center of gravity, less likely to flip. then of course youll need those new struts/shocks/cc plates
k&n filter - better mpg, money saved on trips
custom plate- you dont look like an out-of-towner anywhere in your state. less chance of local cop picking you out for a ticket.
aluminum driveshaft- what, dont you feel that vibration? i bet it needs to be fixed...hint hint.
5pt race harness/race seats- the better the car holds on to you, the safer you can drive right? also keeps you in place for a wreck.

you just gotta learn to disguise things :cheers:

im also 16 turn 17 in 2 months tho...

have a 99 gt my parents were a little hesitant about me "modding" my car...

ive added subframes
4.10's
shift kit... i need to convince my mom that a blower isnt bad:) still have all that money just havnt spend any.

be straight with your parents... mine thought i would street race alot but i told them if i ever did race that i would do it at the local track... and i have. they are happy as long as im not breaking the law etc...

being in FL is great, no emmsions:)

i plan on getting a full exhaust just have to do some research on what to get.

anyone have any comment on a DR Gas O/R X-pipe with some flowmasters? i remeber someone had a sound clip but cant find it....

EDIT: found it:) i think im going to go witht he dr. gas and flows... my uncle can help me install it..

sorry for getting off topic...:(

Yea, I'm 18 and my parents didn't really want me modding mine but they didn't really do anything to stop me. I have a few mods now and I'm hoping to finish up with all the bolt ons in 2004 and go Kenne Bell in '05 or '06. :cool:

But anyhow, if you're anywhere near Woodbridge that'd be sweet. I don't know too many Mustang owners my age around here... most of them only have V6's so it gets boring.

AquamanCHS said:
Yep.. parents.

I'm 16 and this is my first car so my dad doesn't want me adding any more power until I'm more experienced... fair enough, I suppose.. I'll have to do what I can otherwise.

And as far as sneaking stuff in: that'd work if I didn't do work with my dad on the car occasionally. Plus, as far as getting parts I'd have to get them online.. stuff shows up on the credit card bill.

P.S.- I know 16 is young for a stang... however, no amount of disagreement you can post here is gonna change the fact that I drive one. Thanks for not making a big deal out of it like some communities.

Maybe you can negotiate with them. If you're a good kid, keep your grades up, work a part-time job for money, and be responsible, maybe you can work a deal with them that if you do these things, and be a responsible driver with no tickets, that maybe they will let you mod your car. Also, get a radar detector to be on the safe side :D