Spindle Question

Old Skooler

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2012
I'm in the process of upgrading to 5 lug, what's the difference between 94-95 spindles and 99-04. Seems the SN's are more expensive, this is from local salvage yards.

Does it matter which one I use?

• Sponsors (?)

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/tech_front_susp_spindle_warning.aspx

Warning: 1996-04 Mustang spindles & Stock pre-1996 K-members

Do not install a 1996-04 spindle on a 1979-93 or 1994-95 Mustang fitted with a stock-geometry k-member!

Doing so will significantly increase bumpsteer because...
The steering arm on the 1996-04 spindle is about 1.02" (26mm) lower (relative to the rest of the spindle) than the steering arm of any 1979-95 spindle.
The lower steering arm forces the outer tie-rod end to a lower position.
That new position is far too low for the steering rack location of any 1979-95 Mustang, and radically changes the steering geometry.
It is impossible to correct the geometry with a bumpsteer kit because the outer tie-rod end needs to be raised so much that it would have to occupy the same physical space as the steering arm.

the difference is that the 99-04 spindle changes the track width of the car a bit, where as the 94-95 spindle maintains the fox body track width.

The 96-04 spindles are 8mm wider per side than 94-95 spindles.

The 94-95 spindles are slightly wider than fox spindles. Not much, but a few mm. Not enough to be significant.

I believe the number i've seen stated is that 96-04 spindles are 14mm more than the fox width each side. I don't have a source though.

Also a significant difference in the steering arms

For most applications, the 94-95 spindles are preferred. You can use any model spindle from those years. Cobra, V6, ABS, non-abs...makes no difference. Don't pay a premium for "Cobra" spindles though

Seems like most of the popular 5 lug conversion kits are using 96-04 spindles. Did the FRPP M2300 kit use 94-95 spindles?

That's because the 96+ spindles are all that's available.

Ford tends to discontinue a lot of parts 10 years after they were last produced. (sometimes sooner) They discontinued the 1993 cobra intake manifold kit, in 2003. Around 2014, you might see Ford discontinue the 96-2004 spindle as it's last year of production was on a 2004 Mustang.

Ford Racing supplied their kit originally with 94-95 spindles. (page 1...first two parts)
http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-2300-K.pdf

If you look at pictures of 94-95 and 96-2004 spindles you will see where the difference in attaching points and it becomes fairly clear why the 94-95 is preferred. The 94/95 has a curved tie rod end vs. straight for the newer ones.

Found this on the internet a while ago....

507992299.jpg

You should really save up and do it with the 94-95 spindle setup - UNLESS you are planning to change k-members in the future, in which case 96+ may actually be preferred. Also, realize that the v6 model uses the same spindle, so you can always search craigslist for people parting out any 94-95 mustang to source the spindles.

Decent kit. It's using Ford OEM parts really. You can either buy the kit and get it all at once, or search around.

Ford used to sell the front and rear kits as upgrade packaged. But, like everything else, they discontinued it. I bought my rear 5-lug axles and drums as a kit for $170. Toss in some Autozone mark 7 rotors for $40 each and i had a $300 5-lug conversion with brand new parts

Reactions: 1 user
if you find someone parting out a 94-95 stang, grab the front control arms also, that way you dont need to use a spacer on the ball joint, and the front arms are longer than the fox arms so you get a better camber curve. just be aware that you may have tire rub issues if you do that.

Noobz, did you try Rock Auto or PPI? Used try Eddyson,Prestige, or Flea Bay.

Not yet... Just a question that occurred to me while I was reading this thread. I've been sitting on a nearly complete 5-lug conversion for several years that I've accumulated over time. Just gotta find the time to pull the trigger and get it all installed.