Springs on Trick Flow TW vs AFR-165 heads

zenboy99

Founding Member
May 12, 2002
Madison, WI
Just wondering what the stock springs are like on these heads. I know that with the AFR-165 heads, they recomend you upgrading the spring package if you plan on running up to 6,000rpm. Are you expected to do the same with the Twisted Wedge heads?

I would like to purchase some new heads. Mustangs Unlimited has the Trick Flow TW heads for $995 assembled, and AFR-165 heads are ~$1300. Is there really that much of a difference between these heads?

• Sponsors (?)

i have a pair of TW heads and they run to 6500 all day long. i used to rev higher, but it wasn't benefiting me and the valve springs softened a bit and started to float around 6800.

probably going to upgrade to the Track Heat springs soon.

I have the trick flows and they have worked great with the stage 1 cam. They are rated at .540 lift max, but it all depends on how aggressive the cam lobes are. I believe the track heats are good for .600 lift. The afrs are slightly better out of the box as they come ported, but I've been happy with my TF's and they can be ported later too if need be. I dynoed 303rwhp with that basic combo and the unported heads and the curve was very flat, so I'm happy with them. :flag: