SSBC 5 lug rear disc conversion

I have read a few different forums and am finding mixed reviews about the SSBC rear disc conversion. Many people have said that they noticed no difference at all, while others love it. I want to do a 5 lug conversion on my 93GT and the SSBC kit seems to be the best to get the 5 lug and rear disks, without going to the 93 cobra package. I dont want to spend over 2k to get the cobra kit, the SSBC kit is just over 1k. Has anyone used the SSBC kit? What did you think? I do not plan on beating the car so having the best brakes is not my concern. I just want to make sure that when someone in front of me slams on the brakes, i dont have a panic attack thinking Im not going to stop. I want the 5 lug because i want a better selection of wheels.(and it just looks better) I am debating between the 10th anniversary and the fr500 wheels. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't waste money on expensive aftermarket stuff to do a rear brake swap. Get yourself some NRC brackets and Fox length 5 lug axles and use existing 94-up rear brake parts. Its a little bit more work, but you'll save some serious coin.

Don't waste money on expensive aftermarket stuff to do a rear brake swap. Get yourself some NRC brackets and Fox length 5 lug axles and use existing 94-up rear brake parts. Its a little bit more work, but you'll save some serious coin.

Thanks, i did not know about this company. Seems like a great kit, and everything can be bought locally. To get the front and rear converted to 5 lug and rear disks it will only be around $900 to get it all from them. saves me a ton of money. Thanks again.

Anyone else ever use NRC's stuff?

I did, dont bother, you can cut stock brackets and it will do the same job. Actually when i switched from the NRC to the cut 94-95 brackets my brakes didnt moan anymore, and the e-brake dosent hang up anymore

Really? I'd like to know more about this. My brakes moan, and my ebrake sucks... But I always figured it was because I don't have anti-moan brackets.

Brake guys, critique this: ranger axles on rear disk swap, w/modified SN brackets

Im not trying to badmouth NRC here, just to throw that out there, but if you look ar thier brackets, and look at the stock ones, you can see why they moan more, they are just prone to more flex cause of the material. I was also unhappy with the ammount of shims that the brackets required. For $150 smackers you should get a precision product that is better than stock, but what you get its a piece of steel that is probly bent with a brake with minimal precision

Read the whole thread, i didnt cut myne like that guy in the first post, i cut it so its still one piece, this is also nice, cause it the brackets get pulled, you can still leave the axles in. I switched from NRC cobras to stock GT brackets and i have ZERO brake moan, with no anti-moan brackets. Also, there is a guy in that thread thats been running them for 5 years with no issues

I've seen that thread before, unfortunately it was after I already built my system, so I kind of disregarded it. Had I known, I might have went that way with it.

I'm pretty happy with my NRC brackets, I only had to shim one side, and it needed just one set of washers. I'm curious if the moaning we get with the Cobra brakes is just because the bracket is taller, which would allow more flex than a regular GT bracket, be it stock or NRC.

Regardless of which is the better method, the real story is with the tech support you get from NRC. Richard was extremely helpful during the install and responded immediately to emails any time during the day.

Honestly though, the worst part about the brake swap is the fluid system itself. I ended up making custom brake lines for the rear and at the MC, and getting the booster to fit with the old style strut tower was a PAIN.

I'm pretty happy with my NRC brackets, I only had to shim one side, and it needed just one set of washers. I'm curious if the moaning we get with the Cobra brakes is just because the bracket is taller, which would allow more flex than a regular GT bracket, be it stock or NRC.

Regardless of which is the better method, the real story is with the tech support you get from NRC. Richard was extremely helpful during the install and responded immediately to emails any time during the day.

I agree NRC service is second to none. They are great there.

I think the reason the NRC brackets moan is because the material just isn't thick enough, and the plate deflects which causes a vibration. I think it also has to do with the bend in the bracket combined with the thin material. When you use the ford bracket it ends up just being a straight bracket, no bends and is about 3x the thickness of the NRC ones

Huh, I had no idea the Ford brackets were that much thicker. Bummer.

Ah I have GT/V6 brakes, not the Cobra ones. Maybe thats why mine doesn't moan?

Also what ebrake issues are people seeing? Mine seems to work fine.

No matter how hard I pull on it, I can't seem to lock up the rear tires on dry pavement. Every other car I've ever owned was capable of locking up the rear tires with the e-brake. It does slow the car, but just barely.

My car has SSBC brakes....but not the 5 lug. The previous owner did the 4 lug conversion....discs in the back and slotted discs in the front. I've not tested any other system, but can testify that my car brakes like a mofo. I do have what most would consider a full road race suspension to go with it....but I feel pretty confident in my braking abilities with this car. Again I didn't do the work, so my opinion can only go so far.

But in my road tests....I trust this car on a road or cone course. Street use only, I have nothing bad to say about the SSBC stuff except maybe the price. Since I didn't pay it, I dunno. :shrug:

What front conversion are you going with? There are only a handful of wheels that will work on the "cheap" front conversion (which uses Lincoln rotors). You have to go with an SN95 front setup (base or Cobra) to be able to run any wheels you want.