Stalling in the morning....

lukerat

Founding Member
Oct 5, 2002
columbus, oh
Ok guys, tell me what you think about this. Yesterday I went out to start the stang in the morning as it was pretty cold 30 degrees. I went to start the car, it turned over and then died. It would do this every time, if I would keep the rpm's up it would stay running, but as soon as I took my foot off the gas it would die. No idling whatsoever. I started it and took it for a drive, it still died everytime I let the rpm's drop below 1000. I then gave it an hour or two and drove it about 30 miles, had the codes ran, and nothing came up, and the problem stopped. I think it was water frozen in the fuel lines. What do you guys think??

• Sponsors (?)

If it ran normaly while you had your foot on the gas (no sputtering, etc.) and this is purely an idle problem I would suspect the IAC is sticking, you can try cleaning it, or simply break down and buy a new one, they are about $90 from Ford. I am now on my 3rd IAC on my car, and have just about came to the conclusion that it will have to be changed every 20-30,000 miles.

Ike

Isaac-1 said:
If it ran normaly while you had your foot on the gas (no sputtering, etc.) and this is purely an idle problem I would suspect the IAC is sticking, you can try cleaning it, or simply break down and buy a new one, they are about $90 from Ford. I am now on my 3rd IAC on my car, and have just about came to the conclusion that it will have to be changed every 20-30,000 miles.

Ike
What exactly is a IAC, I have had this problem before also.

Idle Air Control, its the its the assembly with the small (35mm film can size) silver thing just below the legs of the horse on the stock intake plenum. Unlike older cars, on our cars the throttle completely closes off all air flow to the intake when the accelerator pedal is not pressed. Air for idling flows through the electronicly controled IAC valve, if the valve is sticking it can cause all sorts of idle problems depending on the way it sticks.

Ike