Mach 1 Stalling :x

Iamchris

Jul 19, 2004
You'll all get a kick out of this, I can't drive standard yet I have a 2004 Mach 1 stick sitting out front. I have my father showing me how to drive it. I stalled it a dozen times today before getting a feel for the clutch and how to take off without stalling, bucking or chirping... I am able to shift through the gears easy and reverse is easy for me... Now I just need to learn to take off on hills then practice, practice, practice.
Anyway, does anyone know if stalling will damage my clutch?
If I don't get the clutch just right, it seems to jolt for a second and stall... or just stall... I immediately disengage the clutch though.

Any pointers?

I think the most difficult thing for me was finding the sweet spot on the clutch and understanding where to give it some gas without giving it too much. I dread trying to learn to take off on hills.

• Sponsors (?)

Starting out is the hardest part of learning to drive a stick, but pratice makes perfect! What happends when you stall/buck the car is that you're not giving the engine enough gas to produce enough power to over come the cars weight OR you're letting the clutch out too fast. First get use to where to clutch starts to grab, and once it does, let it out a little slower. You're really not gonna do any damage to you clutch with stalling it or bucking it, but never the less, it isn't good for it. If you feel like it is gonna stall, give it more gas :D or just let the clutch back out. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.

Well, I've gotten past the stalling and I can now take off with a 95% effectiveness without bucking or stalling. I can run it through the gears, downshift, and even take off on an incline... though I have not yet managed to do so without chirping.
Not bad though, cake.
Now I just need to get past my nerveousness and drive it throught the city.

BTW, I haven't ground a single time.