Stalls at Idle (AODE)

SteedaGT9150

Advanced Member
Nov 10, 2004
Maryland
not my car, but my girlfriends fox will stall at idle, well pretty much run like crap at idle. under acceleration it drives fine, but at idle its just rough and usually dies. i just changed the plugs which helped, but its still doing it. the car has some kind of cam in it, unknown to me her dad rebuilt the engine but they dont talk so i have no idea what it is. any ideas guys?

edit - 91lx still has the 302 in it

• Sponsors (?)

See the "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle/stall problems. Everything you need to find and fix idle problems is in there.

The first two posts contain all the updates to the fixes. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.

I was just thinking...why do you say it "def has a cam"?? Does it sound super lopey and mean as hell? Might want to start checking all your vacuum lines under the hood. As far as the IAC is concerned, just pull it off and clean it with throttle body or carb cleaner, there's two holes in it, clean out both.

I was just thinking...why do you say it "def has a cam"?? Does it sound super lopey and mean as hell? Might want to start checking all your vacuum lines under the hood. As far as the IAC is concerned, just pull it off and clean it with throttle body or carb cleaner, there's two holes in it, clean out both.

ive been around my share of stock and modded fox bodies, owning one for 4 years, and its def got a cam. when it does run right at idle it lopes, my buddy owns a well known performance shop around the area and also mentioned something about it.

and ill have to check the 02 censor.

You guys with idle problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Click on the link to go to it. Over 50 different people contributed information to it.

The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix you idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D:

You guys with idle problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Click on the link to go to it. Over 50 different people contributed information to it.

The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix you idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D:

already checked it out, i just havent had time to look at the car yet. ive been way to busy with work as has she.