standard saleen supercharger kit

gpp

Jul 3, 2005
anyone running the standard saleen supercharger kit and if so how does it run?if it can give 100 hp at the rear wheels i think i would be satisfied.i am running a automatic trans and just want to be safe.

• Sponsors (?)

Not my car but here is a link to a vid.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=udK6KA6WUOY

Car has a Saleen blower but some other major mods. Also maybe consider the Roush set up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gNCDtOsI1o4

I'd look at the FRPP Whipple though too. You can kept the boost low and safe. Then if you decide you want more power you have the option.

I installed the Whipple HO this past weekend - the most fun I've had in a long time with a big reward at the end. I liked the Saleen from a performance point of view but preferred the old school looks of the polished Whipple along with the upgraded fuel delivery system. Pics at: Whipple HO Install

Klaw, you did the install yourself?

Yes - including relocating the IAT sensor and splicing it into the MAF harness. Overall the install is not difficult but it does take alot of time (approx 30 hrs). If you have any mechanical aptitude at all I would highly recommend doing the install yourself. There are lots of resources here and around the net to draw on if issues arise. :nice:

The Roush and 400 hp Whipple both come with a warranty which may or may not be important to you. The Roush starts you off at 445 hp while the Whipple has more portential (500+) if you ever decide you need more. I am happy with the Roush blower. There is a video on youtube where a Roush 427R outperformed a Saleen 281SC that had more claimed hp.

The Roush and 400 hp Whipple both come with a warranty which may or may not be important to you. The Roush starts you off at 445 hp while the Whipple has more portential (500+) if you ever decide you need more. I am happy with the Roush blower. There is a video on youtube where a Roush 427R outperformed a Saleen 281SC that had more claimed hp.

The warranties only apply if you have an authorized dealer install the products and then I think they are underwirtten by the supercharger supplier rather than Ford (I may be wrong on that one??). From the quotes I got, I figure I saved $2500 to $3000 by doing the install myself. If something breaks, I have that much to help pay for the repairs - and I don't have to argue with anybody over whether they'll cover it or not. I also have the piece of mind that I checked all the torque specs at least twice, etc. etc. so if anything is wrong with the install I only have myself to blame. If you pay a shop to intall it and you have a problem, you have the shop, the installer, the kit supplier, and Ford potentially pointing fingers at each other over who, if anybody might take responsibility.

I don't know about the Ford/Whipple blower but the Roushcharger only has to be done by an ASE mechanic, not an authorized dealer. I had a mechanic do it for $700 which was pretty reasonable I thought. You are correct about Roush underwriting the warranty, which covers the entire drivetrain. I am glad that you were able to install yours on your own, not many people will even do the easy stuff any more. I think it makes it more fun to put in your own parts, I did everything but the supercharger.

$700 :jaw:

The only two times a mechanic touched my car were:

1) Enabling the daytime running lights (req'd in Canada) - 15 min - $260.00

2) Diagnosing a failed TPMS band - 15 min - $100.00 and they couldn't even fix the problem because they didn't have a tire changer that could work on my 20" rims.

I got two different quotes for the supercharger install - both estimated 16 to 25 hours (with the HO being at the high end of the time estimate due to the dual intank fuel pump and intercooler installs). Shop rates were $125/hr plus tax + an allocation for shop materials and supplies. Neither would guarantee a maximum install cost - they said it would depend on the total hours required. Neither would let me be present in the shop during the install either. In the end it became a pretty easy decision.

A fairly standard installation time at a shop is 8-12 hours from everywhere I've seen and talked to. Most shops will even get you in and out in one working day. Many people on here have gotten the install done for $800-1000, but the cheapest place I have found so far near me has told me $1500.

To somewhat answer your question, they claim its 475 hp, so I'd have to imagine +175hp at the crank would easily give you +100 at the wheels.

A fairly standard installation time at a shop is 8-12 hours from everywhere I've seen and talked to. Most shops will even get you in and out in one working day. Many people on here have gotten the install done for $800-1000, but the cheapest place I have found so far near me has told me $1500.

To somewhat answer your question, they claim its 475 hp, so I'd have to imagine +175hp at the crank would easily give you +100 at the wheels.

I wouldn't want to own the car that someone did the install in 8 (or even 12) hours. Mine took alot longer than necessary but I wasn't in any particular hurry. Having done one I'm sure the next would be easier and quicker but 8 hours would be really moving. It's maybe possible but fit and finish would have to suffer. If you want to pay someone a grand to slam your car together go for it.

gpp, I'm not sure if where you are, but if you are in the Indiana area, check with Brenspeed. They offer installation of the 475 hp Saleen supercharger for $695. This obviously requires you to purchase the supercharger from them, but it only costs $5849, so you won't find the supercharger much cheaper elsewhere.